iPad mini sell iPad and keep iphone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iphonefanatic2, May 15, 2014.

1. iphonefanatic2 macrumors newbie

I have an iPad mini retina (2) wifi and a samsung galaxy s4 and a laptop. i recently decided to buy a new phone and ended up getting the iphone 5S 32gb in grey (same as iPad). I like the iphone as I used to be an iphone fan. I owned all iPhones up until iphone 5 when I switched to android due to better screen size choices. I still think the iphone is a bit small but I really love how far the iOS has gone and it's a fairly impressive system. it also works better with my car and various accessories I own. it's also well built and feels like good quality. it's just a better device than the samsung albeit having an inferior screen and a steep price tag. anyway I'm thinking of keeping the iphone and selling the iPad and samsung. I'm doing this for following reasons:

1. I find I rarely use my iPad, I charge it once a week
    2. I can use the cash to buy other stuff
    3. iphone can do everything my iPad does
    4. I use my laptop quite often and I don't think an iPad ever will replace my laptop for me

the galaxy I'm also selling because well it's not a phone anymore, more like an iPod with a crappy music player and no access to my iTunes. I can use the cash from the galaxy as well.

what do you guys think of this plan? keep iphone and iPad and galaxy or sell some of them?

2. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

I'm actually the opposite. I got the iPhone 5s about a month after launch and recently got the iPad Mini with Retina Display. I find that I only use my phone to make calls and I use my iPad for everything else. I definitely agree that an iPad is not a laptop replacement, but I find that an iPad Mini is a great companion device for my MacBook Pro with Retina Display. It may be different for me since I have a cellular iPad. I'm actually considering canceling my voice plan and using the money to get a larger data plan and using Google Voice instead. I think that the iPhone is a bit small for me (I've had every iPhone except the original iPhone), so that's partly why I prefer the iPad Mini over my iPhone. I have heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem, so Android is not an option for me.

Only you can decide what works for you. If you find that you don't use your iPad anymore, you should sell it before the resale value goes down.

3. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

I'd advise against it, but only because I've actually done the same before. I regretted it the moment I needed a bigger screen. I was the same way - I really didn't use it much, and either went for my iPhone or Mac more often.

But, the moment that I needed the iPad? I missed it badly. It may not be as useful to you as to others, but when you need it, nothing can replace it.

My only recommendation would be to sell it and try an iPad Air - it's a bit bigger, so a different experience from the Mini. That may be a way that you'd find more use for it, as I've found I'll reach for a full size iPad more than the Mini when I need it.

4. iphonefanatic2 thread starter macrumors newbie

iPad air is nice but I find the screen on iPad mini to be of perfect size when I use it. its just a matter cash or keep the device before its worthless.

5. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

The retina Mini will likely keep pretty decent resale value, unlike the non retina version. If you need a bit of cash now, sell. But if you're not hurting for money I'd say keep it for the times when you need an iPad.

6. iphonefanatic2 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I find that I don't use my iPad anymore. specially since I got the iPhone which covered all my iOS needs such as imessage or iTunes. I can keep the cash and let someone who actually needs it use it? I actually find i reach for my sim-less galaxy s4 more than iPad mini.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am keeping both because I need an iPad Air to watch movies while I am on my bed, rMBP "15 can't do it because it needs vent to cool rMBP. It is nice to use FaceTime and check email or tweets on my bed without getting up to get my iPhone 5s. :apple:

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well if you're not using it and the proceeds from selling it can be better used in some other area then yeah, sell it.

9. hologram macrumors 6502

To the OP: With all due respect, everybody's needs/wants/finances are different, and you're going to have to start making your own decisions sooner or later.

This is a good place to start.

10. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Exactly, everyone has different needs and uses. In general: If YOU don't use or no longer need a depreciating asset, sell it.

I didn't use my iPad as much as my phone and computer, so I sold it. I didn't use it enough to feel like it was money well spent.

11. njsapple2012 macrumors member

I was in a similar position last year.

I had both the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 64GB WiFi+Cellular.

I hardly used my iPad so in the end I sold it.

However now I'm the owner of an iPad Mini w/Retina I am using it a lot more.

It's easier to carry around plus it means I can use a cellular network in Ashbourne, Derbys. that actually has 3G because my network provider (Vodafone UK) only use GPRS with no plans to upgrade the area to 3g until 2015!

12. rajpatel macrumors regular

I really don't know why people keep saying ipad can't replace laptop, mine has for than a year, no prob. Depends on the person but mostly only geeks and nerds now need a full fledged computer. My apologies since that probably describes a solid 50 percent of the clientele here.

13. GalFriday macrumors member

Yep I'm a geek and proud of it. :) Absolutely nothing wrong with being a geek or a nerd and whether someone needs a full-fledged computer or not is not for you to decide.

OP, you should make the decision that's best for you. iPads do tend to keep their resale value so you probably won't lose money by keeping it, but if you truly don't find it useful, then go ahead and sell it and get something you will find useful. :)

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no reason to keep it if you don't use it.

Just don't regret selling it and then buying another one after your sell it.

15. iphonefanatic2 thread starter macrumors newbie

as terrible as this might sound I sold the iPad already for a good price. nearly got as much as I paid for it. I am also selling my iPhone 5s and galaxy s4. will be buying a bigger device like the note 3. unless apple creates a dramatic change in the iphone such as a bigger screen, I am done with iOS devices.

yes I need my MacBook (laptop) for spreadsheets, word processing, presentations, video editing (final cut) and photoshop. iPad can't do any of this properly.

16. GalFriday macrumors member

I disagree. I use Word and Excel on my iPad and they work beautifully. So do Pages, Numbers and Keynote. With my wireless keyboard it's great. I don't do video editing so I can't speak on that.

17. rajpatel macrumors regular

Agree with galfriday regarding the productivity apps and would add scanner pro is great for video editing , the photoshop app is good too.

18. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Your macbook won't like your note 3:( Guess you will be changing your user name:)

19. iphonefanatic2 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol I used to be a fanatic but yes right now I'm not much of iphone fan. I means it's 2014 and screen size is similar to iphone 2g I owned 6 years back. not much dramatic changes else where except for ios7. I love ios7 but I just don't think this screen will work for me. I sold my iPad because I don't use it, otherwise the mini retina is the best tablet I have ever used. nothing will replace my MacBook Pro and you cant be serious about spreadsheet and video editing or photoshop on iPad. You cannot do even 10% of what a Mcbook photoshop can accomplish on the iPad. yes iPad is there but a replacement no it's not unless your needs are limited to basics such as web browsing. as for spreadsheets I can do it 10x faster on my laptop. word processing cannot be very ergonomic on iPad unless you have some sort of a weird case. being a computer engineer, that's at least how I see it. I'm eyeing iPad Air at the moment and will wait for iphone 6, hoping for a bigger higher res screen.

20. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Well I hope that the iPhone 6 can entice you back... :D