Sell iPhablet replacing the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Will there be a need for an ipad if iPhablet gets released? Will you trade your rMini to buy it?

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Yes and no

3. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Heard some people contemplating selling their rMini when they get the iPhablet

4. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

5. sleek881 macrumors regular

sleek881

The iPad mini is still around an 8" device wheras the best you could hope for with the iPhone 6 is 5.5". For book reading or where you need as big a screen as you can get the iPad mini is still the better choice.

6. vancleef macrumors member

I'm leaning towards the new iPhone for my next smartphone. I contemplated going for the anticipated larger iPhone as an all-in-one solution but I think I will go with iPhone + iPad Mini instead.
    I think I would feel the phablet to be ok for traditional phone use and ok for small-tablet use but not as good as dedicated devices.

On Topic, I doubt many will use both a phablet and an iPad Mini since they overlap a bit, phablet + iPad Air would be a better combo.

7. marvz, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

People don't understand that (if it really happens) an iPhablet will have a 16:9 aspect ratio. Even if it has a 6'' display, it will never be near to the display size of an iPad mini with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
    So, no.

Comparison iPad mini vs Note 3 (16:9 5.7'')

[​IMG]

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a Lumia Icon which has a 5.39" screen, I still use my iPad. Larger phones are nice but they don't replace the functionality and size of the mini. Both are used (at least for me) for two different purposes.

9. Dave245 macrumors 601

No i don't think so, personally i would like to get the 5.5" iPhone 6 if it exists :confused: but i would still keep my iPad 3 (until i upgrade to an Air 2 that is) Mainly because the apps are different and i love using the iPad for web browsing, playing a few games (nothing too heavy) and watching TV shows/films on it.

Personally i think :apple: should release a 4.7" and a 5.5" in order to give people the choice. Wether they will or not i don't know :confused:

10. Robster3 macrumors 68000

5.5" is not a phablet and there is a big difference in size to a rmini.

11. cynics macrumors G3

There is still a market for people that want a small (or less expensive) tablet for around the home/office use. And don't/can't want to carry around an oversized phone.

Creating competition against your own products is not a really good idea but it's better then losing customers to the competition.

That's said I personally don't see apple making a phablet anytime soon. We'll have to wait and see though.

12. vancleef macrumors member

I think we will see an iPhone in the 5,5-6" range if not now then later. Apple don't rush things so it depends on when they identified the need for such a device. If the phablet hasn't developed into a great device by the launch for iPhone 6, I don't think they will jeopardize the iPhone 6 hype by releasing a mediocre phablet.

13. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

We have 3 i5's and an iPad 4 and iPad Air. I plan to keep the iPads, upgrade two of the i5's to the largest i6 available AND add a Mini Retina with cellular. So no, there will be no selling of iPads if Apple releases an iPhablet. There will, however, be plenty of juicy fruit choices available for content consumption for the 'sandwich clan!

14. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about this issue recently. It's interesting because apps like Office for IPad are clearly designed for the tablet. Not mobile devices, but tablets. I honestly think the next evolution in the iPad is for it to transform into a more capable device. Growth for traditional computers have stalled and tablets can easily pick up where they've left off. Apple just needs to continue to come up with tablet specific hardware and software.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

IF such a thing ever exists. I wouldn't be shocked if it never happens and Apples run around it is to support more options for VoIP, wireless headsets etc and let the iPad Mini be their 'phablet'.

16. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah not everyone wants a giant phone to carry in a bag with them everywhere. The iPad mini is fine.

17. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

18. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I agree. I have to decide but I'm such an iphone fanboy I have to have it

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What do you mean, you have to decide? If you mean decide between a bigger iPhone and an iPad mini, surely there's no reason why you can't have both.

20. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'll be keeping my mini non-retina or upgrading it at some point. No phablet for me! Especially if Verizon starts discounting phones that go off contract. No need to upgrade a perfectly good iPhone 5 if it works and is discounted. I'm a college student, so I don't exactly have the budget to update all of my devices every year.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Verizon is already discounting phones that are off contract (on the current share plans).

22. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Do you mean phones that are purchased in full with no contract or financed with Edge, or do you mean phones that are on contract and then not upgraded when the contract expires? I meant phones with expired contracts. My contract on my iPhone 5 expires in January. If I get a discount and don't like the 6, there's not much motivation to upgrade. If I don't get a discount with my 5, then I either have to live with letting my parents pay too much for my phone or live with the 6 and sign a new contract.

23. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Remove all the extra bezel from the iPad and they aren't that far apart.

----------

Yes it is because 5 years ago a 5.5 inch devices was a mini-tablet.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

I mean any or all of those--phones that were on contract and now aren't, phones that are brought to Verizon without a contract, and phones that are on Edge. Right now for the month-to-month phones they are doing it as some sort of a limited time promo, but hopefully it'll stay as a permanent thing and be around when you need it (when you are out of contract).