Sell iPhone 4 or Get iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ihav0frnds, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

i have an iphone 4, but for whatever reason, i'm still eligible for 200 dollar pricing in april next year.

should i grab another iphone 4 in april and sell it for profit? or should i hold my upgrade until iphone 5 comes out, sell my iphone 4, and get iphone 5 for 200?

or should i do the same as above but keep my iphone 4, selling iphone 5 if it turns out to not be earth-shattering.

2. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

If Apple sticks to their usual self, iPhone 5 will not be a huge upgrade from iPhone 4. I think you will really be upset if you don't have that upgrade status for iPhone 6 which hopefully will be a new form factor and LTE. So I wouldn't use the upgrade personally to make sure I have it for the 6.

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I disagree, Android and WP7 are putting out good phone specs wise that's going make Apple stay on there toes. I say keep you iPhone 4 until next year then upgrade to the iP5. Another reason to do that is because you don't want to be seen with a last model LoL.

4. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Well, depending on the iOS version your iPhone 4 is on, you could easily get $700-800 for it if you unlock it. Same story goes if you can get another iPhone 4 that's on 4.0 or 4.1, even come June when the next one is released, you'll be able to get enough for it to outright buy a 5th gen.

Also, for those saying you'll want to wait for the iPhone 6, if you go ahead and get an iPhone 4 now, you'll be eligible for an upgrade in 18 months, which is June of 2012, just in time for the 6th gen, should you still want one by then.

I say go for it, of course I've bought several iPhone 4s at full price then jailbroke/unlocked them and sold them for enough to get another phone and pocket about a hundred bucks.

To each his own

5. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

I completely agree.

6. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

based on what the 3G to 3GS step?

that's one example lol , don't act like there's a significant pattern, no one knows what the next iPhone will look like

7. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

The only change planned for iPhone 5 is colour: it'll finally come in white.

The only change planned for iOS 5 is animated wallpapers. That's it.

It's your choice.

8. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

I agree that seems to be the trend.

9. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Definitely agree.

10. thecooler88 macrumors newbie

I agree, I'm not the most technical person but when(and where) did the iphone 4 unlock become available?
    Thanks

11. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Has there been time for a pattern to really be defined? I agree that the iPhone 5 will most likely have the same form factor and just some improvements to memory/processing. Mostly because one year barely gives accessory companies time to make their product, but there was a pretty big leap from the iPhone 2G to iPhone 3G.

12. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I say use your upgrade and get the 5 and then sell your 4. Regardless of the updates/upgrades in the next version of the iPhone, you'll have the newest one available to you as well as a nice bit of change in your pocket from selling your 4. And when the IP6 comes out, assuming it's leaps and bounds ahead of the 5, you can sell you 5 and, at least, break even on buying the 6 whenever it comes out.

13. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Thank god I get yearly upgrades. I'd personally buy the iPhone 5 and kept it if I were you, only because I like to have the latest and greatest.

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

And how does one get yearly upgrades if I may ask Sire?

15. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I'd grab another iP4 and sell for a profit. Then sell my other iP4 when iP5 came out.

You should now be eligible for a reduced price iP4 as you should with the iP5 if you got another iP4 in April. Even selling your iP4 you should get more than enough to buy the iP5 at reduced price. Possible more.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Yea my best guess is the IP5 will have slightly upgraded specs but not anything added. The only design change might be to cover the antenna.

17. SeaChange macrumors regular

I have had all four iPhones and expect that trend to continue.

18. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Its always been availible for those who didn't upgrade to 4.1

19. ihav0frnds thread starter macrumors 6502

bump since now i'm eligible for full upgrade, and now some speculations of late iphone 5...any new opinions?

20. edk99 macrumors 6502a

If you are happy and sticking with ATT then you might as well go and use your upgrade now. Using it now it now you will obviously be eligible sooner for the next upgrade then waiting till possibly the end of the year to use your upgrade if the iPhone 5 comes out in the fall.

Selling your 2 iPhone4 will easily cover the full cost of the iPhone 5.

21. elan123 macrumors 6502

5 isn't going to be much more spectacular than 4, most likely... so just sell it for profit