Sell Iphone and MBP, repalce w/iPad and Mac Mini???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JasonK, Mar 10, 2010.

1. JasonK macrumors member

Ok, so I have run through a few pro's and con's already (and there are quite a few). I use my MBP mostly at home on the couch for browsing and watching Hulu, etc. I use my iphone quite extensively through out the day (instant question and answer machine while I teach, mostly). I have an 80GB ipod that serves my music needs quite adequately, so there is nothing gained or lost there. Any "real work" light photo/ video editing I could do on the Mini. Here are some of the Pro's and Con's I have come up with, and I would love to hear some thoughts by all of you...
    Pro's:
    -W/ 3g iPad I would have a usable screen with internet access anywhere I go, with out having to tether.
    -Much faster experience operation wise on the iPad platform vs. my iphone 3g.
    -NO CONTRACT FOR DATA!!!!
    -Much more portable, usable devise (iPad vs MBP)
    -A dedicated computer for my 50" television for Boxee, etc. (Mini vs MBP)
    -A fine machine to use while I teach (I use a small Podium, it would be awesome.)
    -Battery Life on my portable would be at least trippled (I am getting roughly 2 hours on a Battery cycle in my 2.53 Unibody MBP.)

Con's:
    -Portable power is gone. I could lug the Mini, however, that is not going to happen.
    -Portable access to my Hard Drive is limited. I have a ME account, so not all is gone, but most.
    -An iPad is a well equipped iphone, not a slimmed down laptop. (No Optical drive for loading music on the go, etc.)

There are more... I am no longer a power user like I was when I got my MBP, so I do not need the portability any longer. Is there anything I should think about before I make my swap? I have a flip phone that I will but back into use when the iphone gets the boot...
    Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

How will you make phone calls on the go? The iPad doesn't do that...

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. In addition, iPad isn't as portable as iPhone and especially because you can't call with it, it may be useless. It doesn't fit into a pocket and I doubt you want to use it as an iPod either. Only benefit is the bigger screen which would be nice for browsing but I doubt iPad is much faster than iPhone is.

Keep the iPhone and sell MBP and buy Mini and iPad with that money. Use Mini at home with your TV and iPad/iPhone when on go or in other room

4. Coldmode macrumors regular

why?

I came here ready to call you a fool, but thinking about it more, you may be on to something. I need a load of computing power wherever I go, so ditching the MBP isn't an option for me. But if you're a light user, I could see this combination really working out for you. The only downside could be browsing or email during a commute. I live in the city so my iPhone is great for using while on the subway.

My former college roommate just invested in a Mini and absolutely adores it. He did ditch Boxee for a neat program called Plex, though.

Then I suppose you could pray for some sort of "Back to my Mac" solution for the iPad. That would probably be the ideal scenario for a user like you.

For portable power: Hypermac makes products that power iPhones, so I imagine they'll be coming out with something for the iPad. You may have to wait a while though.

Also a consideration--the raw geek cred you'd accrue from being the teacher who uses an iPad to teach. Hell, I'd take your class.

Best of luck in your decision.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not a bad idea, if you have a replacement phone.

6. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Do you plan to watch Hulu on the Mini connected to the TV? Doesn't Hulu use flash which means the iPad won't work for watching shows.

7. oneeach macrumors member

Hulu does use Flash so its a no-go on the iPad right now. However, they have stated they are thinking about (not necessarily going to write) an app for the iPad.

8. JasonK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for not calling me a fool :) I really hope the Back to my Mac solution becomes an option. Also, a Bootable version of Linux is on my wish list, but I digress. I think the commute issue mentioned won't be too much of an issue; I plan on getting the 3G version so that I can have my inerweb with me everywhere. I have not held it yet, but I don't see it being too large to take out of a small case and shove it back in for those quick checks of the email or catching up on the latest scores.

9. JasonK thread starter macrumors member

I did mention that I already have an iPod with all my music, as well as the fact that I will be resuming the use of my flip phone. I thought about your solution, but I really don't want to pay for Data on two ATT devices that are essentially both capable of the same functions. Money is tight right now and while the devices are expensive that would be an additional $360 a year.

10. JasonK thread starter macrumors member

I should have been clearer, I would be watching Hulu on the Mac Mini connected to el Television. I realize the limited capability of the iOS, but Steve tells us that Flash is dead, like Tupac and Elvis. ;)

11. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Or nearly another free ipad...:p

12. JasonK thread starter macrumors member

Well, that is dependant on what apps you have if I am correct. It has a mic and a speaker, and you are able to install Skype... correct me if I am wrong, but that is almost a phone right?

Also does anyone know if the cell phone taxes are applicable to the monthly 3g fee for the iPad? I haven't heard anything about this. Thanks!

13. JasonK thread starter macrumors member

Exactly. Techound, do you know if apple will be having student discounts on the iPad? I like your site, any way I can sign up to be notified by email when the Mini's go back on the Refurb site?

14. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

My guess is no student discount, based on (1) there is no student discount on the iPhone, and (2) when looking at computers as a model, the cheaper a computer is, the less the discount.

Thanks for the props on the blog.
    [EDIT: I just added a widget for subscribing via email]

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Remember the deal with AT&T on iPad? You pay what you use (prepaid), no monthly payments or anything like that. You pay 0$ if you don't use it. That's not 360$ a year unless you use it a lot and I'm sure you have WiFi at home and in school as well so you could use that.