Sell iPhone before 3G Launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WorthBak, May 12, 2008.

1. WorthBak macrumors newbie

So I have an iPhone I bought back in November (a few scratches, but otherwise in pretty good shape) and I was thinking about selling it ahead of the supposed 3G iPhone launch. I've heard that you can get a pretty good price for 1st gen iPhones right now because of their low availability in the US (~$350), so it seems like a pretty good option to help pay for a new iPhone in June, but my question is this: what is the deal with putting a cheapo AT&T phone on an iPhone plan? Can I just remove my iPhone's SIM card and throw it in another cheap phone until the 3G iPhone comes out?

Thanks!

2. iphone529 macrumors regular

same

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not going to sell it until there is a real release date. You will always be able to sell your phone, just unlock it before you sell it.

3. WorthBak thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

don't you think the value will take a dive though when the 3g is announced?

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, becuase the new one will be 3G and GPS for the same price. Also, more countries will be getting it, so they don't have to buy it from the US. Plus, many who want to upgrade will be selling theirs as well.

5. WorthBak thread starter macrumors newbie

exactly, so sell now and hope for the best or wait and take a price hit?

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The price currently is due to scarcity. They're planning to make > 1million 3G handsets, the upgraded model to yours, in June. Now is a good time to sell. Before Apple and associated carriers make it clear and explicit to the public their intentions.

7. iphone529 macrumors regular

There is no way they are announcing this tomorrow! Keep your phone and wait until June 9 to sell.

8. mugwump macrumors regular

You don't need to unlock it to sell it, or do anything except use the "reset" setting on the phone to remove the data. Demand is very very high right now.

9. hondje macrumors member

just posted mine on craigslist

Hey, I just posted mine on Craigslist. I hope it sells really soon. I would rather get my money back and sit on it for a month, than loose a lot of value when Apple announces the new phone.

10. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Better sell fast... I can't believe Apple will just remain sold out of iPhones for long--they *must* be ready to release the 3G phone, right?

Re the original question, call up AT&T and ask them. I can't image why you couldn't (it's no skin off their back--you'll be paying for a data plan you won't be using for a while), but it's worth it to call them to sort our the SIM details.

If you do need to involve AT&T in the transfer of service to the new device, make sure they don't re-up your contract or add services you don't want (speaking from experience deailing with Verizon).

11. iphone529 macrumors regular

Yea but no one knows if or when they are coming out with a new one.

12. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Nope. They will buy/manufacturer more 1st gens.

13. RubberShoes macrumors regular

Yea I'm one of those waiting to salvage your iphone once the new ones are announced. But don't unlock it! Some of us want a completely locked and smooth running iphone!

BTW, if any of you have a 16GB looking to sell for a new one, email me at RubberShoe@gmail.com I'll be glad to buy it

Anyway, sorry don't mean to advertise, but demand for current iphones are pretty high, if you really want to get a good deal you could sell it now if you can go without an iphone for a couple weeks...

14. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i just sold my 16gb phone and sent it out today. i sold it for $504 on ebay. i am ready for the 3g and dont want to fight selling my phone. at least i got top dollar i feel for a used phone.

15. godoggo macrumors newbie

I bought mine off craigslist for $200 and sold it for $325. Made $125 on the sale. Bought a go-phone and switched out the sim card. Now I'll just wait and see what apple does.

16. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

oh jesus i cant use a normal phone very easily now.. its confusing.. iPhone 1 will become my second phone with office/corporate SIM in it. i dont think i would be able to cope with a normal phone honestly for three whole weeks.

17. ivan123 macrumors member

ivan123

18. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Instead of selling, I'm giving my 1st Gen to my wife.