Sell iPhone before 3G Launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WorthBak, May 12, 2008.

  1. WorthBak macrumors newbie

    Oct 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    So I have an iPhone I bought back in November (a few scratches, but otherwise in pretty good shape) and I was thinking about selling it ahead of the supposed 3G iPhone launch. I've heard that you can get a pretty good price for 1st gen iPhones right now because of their low availability in the US (~$350), so it seems like a pretty good option to help pay for a new iPhone in June, but my question is this: what is the deal with putting a cheapo AT&T phone on an iPhone plan? Can I just remove my iPhone's SIM card and throw it in another cheap phone until the 3G iPhone comes out?

  2. iphone529 macrumors regular

    Jul 23, 2007

    I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not going to sell it until there is a real release date. You will always be able to sell your phone, just unlock it before you sell it.
  3. WorthBak thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

    don't you think the value will take a dive though when the 3g is announced?
  4. gkarris macrumors 604


    Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    Yes, becuase the new one will be 3G and GPS for the same price. Also, more countries will be getting it, so they don't have to buy it from the US. Plus, many who want to upgrade will be selling theirs as well.
  5. WorthBak thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    exactly, so sell now and hope for the best or wait and take a price hit?
  6. t0mat0 macrumors 603


    Aug 29, 2006
    The price currently is due to scarcity. They're planning to make > 1million 3G handsets, the upgraded model to yours, in June. Now is a good time to sell. Before Apple and associated carriers make it clear and explicit to the public their intentions.
  7. iphone529 macrumors regular

    Jul 23, 2007
    There is no way they are announcing this tomorrow! Keep your phone and wait until June 9 to sell.
  8. mugwump macrumors regular

    Jan 10, 2004
    You don't need to unlock it to sell it, or do anything except use the "reset" setting on the phone to remove the data. Demand is very very high right now.
  9. hondje macrumors member

    Oct 14, 2007
    South Bend, IN
    just posted mine on craigslist

    Hey, I just posted mine on Craigslist. I hope it sells really soon. I would rather get my money back and sit on it for a month, than loose a lot of value when Apple announces the new phone.
  10. iSee macrumors 68040


    Oct 25, 2004
    Better sell fast... I can't believe Apple will just remain sold out of iPhones for long--they *must* be ready to release the 3G phone, right?

    Re the original question, call up AT&T and ask them. I can't image why you couldn't (it's no skin off their back--you'll be paying for a data plan you won't be using for a while), but it's worth it to call them to sort our the SIM details.

    If you do need to involve AT&T in the transfer of service to the new device, make sure they don't re-up your contract or add services you don't want (speaking from experience deailing with Verizon).
  11. iphone529 macrumors regular

    Jul 23, 2007
    Yea but no one knows if or when they are coming out with a new one.
  12. Mikey B macrumors 65816

    Mikey B

    Jan 4, 2008
    the island
    Nope. They will buy/manufacturer more 1st gens.
  13. RubberShoes macrumors regular

    Jun 30, 2007
    Yea I'm one of those waiting to salvage your iphone once the new ones are announced. But don't unlock it! Some of us want a completely locked and smooth running iphone!

    BTW, if any of you have a 16GB looking to sell for a new one, email me at I'll be glad to buy it

    Anyway, sorry don't mean to advertise, but demand for current iphones are pretty high, if you really want to get a good deal you could sell it now if you can go without an iphone for a couple weeks...
  14. citron230 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    i just sold my 16gb phone and sent it out today. i sold it for $504 on ebay. i am ready for the 3g and dont want to fight selling my phone. at least i got top dollar i feel for a used phone.
  15. godoggo macrumors newbie

    Apr 30, 2007
    I bought mine off craigslist for $200 and sold it for $325. Made $125 on the sale. Bought a go-phone and switched out the sim card. Now I'll just wait and see what apple does.
  16. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

    Aug 11, 2007
    oh jesus i cant use a normal phone very easily now.. its confusing.. iPhone 1 will become my second phone with office/corporate SIM in it. i dont think i would be able to cope with a normal phone honestly for three whole weeks.
  17. ivan123 macrumors member


    Sep 22, 2007
    New Zealand
  18. msmith2112 macrumors 6502


    Sep 17, 2002
    Instead of selling, I'm giving my 1st Gen to my wife.

Share This Page