Sell Iphone Now or Later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leons, May 27, 2009.

1. leons macrumors 6502

I rely on my Iphone (3G) constantly. Because I rely on it so much, I have 2. Because of my needs, both are JB and Unlocked.

Here's my question. I would like to buy a new one when they come out. I know if I sell mine now, it will be worth significantly more now than after the new release. But, I am worried that Apple might do something in the new Iphone to make it impossible to JB and/or Unlock. Then, I would just stick with my current 3Gs, and I wouln't sell.

What is the likelihood of this happening? Any ideas?

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I think it will not be unlocked right away. It will probably be like the iPod Touch 2G, where it took months to be unlocked.

If having a JB iPhone is a must, I would hold on to the 3G until you know the new phone (or OS 3.0) can be unlocked.

Sell one now if you have two.

3. Macabron macrumors member

Macabron

I agree, keep one of them. I sold mine as soon as the 3g one came out I regretted that, specially since the only real improvement for me was the GPS.

4. iFerd macrumors 6502a

It's probably hard to predict the value of the current 3G after a new model is released. The first generation iPhone has done a remarkable job of holding its value.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The price of an unlocked iPhone 3G will only increase (probably double) after the release of the third iPhone.

6. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

You hve 2 iphones and thinking about buying another one.. Talk about having too much money and time on your hands... I thought we are in the midst of a worldwide recession... ;)

7. uhhitsjames macrumors member

I would suggest selling one like others have said. If you think it's going to be worth more now you should sell one and then if the new one is not all you hoped for you can buy a 3G from someone who is selling it after the new comes out for cheaper than what you sold yours for.

8. iRich1G macrumors member

I am also on the fence about selling my 3G before or after new model drops. Why do you think 3G value will double?

9. bjquach macrumors 6502

The iPhone (2009) will probably take some time to get unlocked while the 3G can be done with a turbo sim or software, if you are still on 2.2