Sell iPhone now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bodhi395, Apr 26, 2010.

  1. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    #1
    I have a 16GB iPhone 3G that I bought in July 2008. Its still in very good condition, save some wear and scratches on the back panel, and I don't have the original head phones anymore.

    I know I'm getting the new iPhone that will come out in June or July, since my contract will be up and I can get it at the discounted rate.

    I ideally would like to wait until I actually purchase the new iphone before I sell my iPhone 3G, but am worried it will go way down in value by that time. So I was thinking I could sell it now and just use my old flip phone with my sim card for the next few months until the new one comes out.

    Do you think the resale value of the iPhone 3G will go way down in value the minute the new iphone ships, or it will be about the same as it is today?
     
  2. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

    ijen0311

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    #2
    I'd wait. I've broken even selling my old phones with the new releases. I pick up the new iPhone and list mine on eBay that night. Especially if you're willing to ship internationally, you'll have no problem.
     
  3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    Location:
    Wherever I May Roam
    #3
    I second that.
     
  4. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

    AbSoluTc

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2008
    #4
    You have a 3G. The 3GS is the current model with the 4G on the way. The longer you wait, the less you will get. Once the 4G hits, not many will want a 3G.
     
  5. profets macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    #5
    I have a 3G from July '08 as well. Going to sell it now. I think by the time we get close to 4.0 or iPhone 4 the value will drop. I've put it up on kijiji and gotten hammered with emails.
     
  6. madhurdutta macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2009
    Location:
    India
    #6
    I suggest that you get rid of it, asap. Unless, you cannot live without an iPhone for 2-3 months (reason why I still have the original iPhone, that and I intend on keeping it also as a collectors item!)
    Other than that, no other reason to hold on. It is already on its way down.
     
  7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2008
    #7
    Although it might not make any difference since it's an older generation iPhone, but we already know that Apple would not guarantee to support 3G and 2G.

    So it might drop some value, but it won't be more than the inconvenience of not having a phone for few months.
     
  8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

    IgnatiusTheKing

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Location:
    das Fort
    #8
    How much money will you really be making off the sale of the phone if you're flushing $30/month down the toilet by having a phone that can't use the data plan?
     
  9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

    Applejuiced

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    #9
    Exactly.,
    The price difference will be minimal. Way less than what you spend every month on service.
    The Inconvenience is not worth it.
     
  10. profets macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    #10
    We already know it won't be fully supported by Apple, but the general public doesn't know. Heck, most people won't realize a new iPhone is coming. I know plenty of people interested in buying an iPhone and they're getting impatient (I keep telling them to hold off just a few months). Even here on MR we see continual people asking if they should buy a 3GS now or wait.

    I say wait until a month before WWDC and put it up for sale.
     
  11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2008
    #11
    You do realize that I am saying NOT to sell it until you get a new iPhone?
     
  12. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

    STEVESKI07

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #12
    So by the looks of it, you will be eligible for a full subsidy of the new iPhone. That means you will most likely be paying $2-300 for the new one. I think you will be getting the majority, if not all, of that back if you sell it even after the 4th gen release. I say keep it.
     
  13. profets macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    #13
    yup :) lol.. i actually meant to reply to a few posts but screwed it up.. my bad
     
  14. Bodhi395 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    #14
    You might be right. I thought I could just cancel the data plan for the few months I'd be waiting for the new iPhone, but I'm unsure whether that is possible, since I think my iPhone data contract with ATT doesn't expire until July. If that's the case, I'll definitely keep the iPhone until the new one comes out.

    All I want is a 32 GB version of the new iPhone, and hopefully Apple will continue the same pricing structure they have now and it will be $200. I'm guessing I might be able to get $200 for my 3G then, even after the new one comes out, and I'd end up getting the new iphone for nothing then!
     
  15. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    SI, NY
    #15
    i always break even when i sell my phone ive done it since the first, second , third and i will do it with the fourth. i know a guy who will give me even, he probably sells it for more but i feel fine about that as long as i get my new phone. i usually sell it before i get the new one like a week or two and its always worked out:D

    or sell it the day of the wwdc, see if u like the new one then if u do sell it
     
  16. angemon89 macrumors 68000

    angemon89

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Location:
    The place where Apple designs stuff
    #16
    The extra $30 that you make by selling it now rather than in July is not worth the inconvenience.
     
  17. -PsYcHoNoVa- macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2009
    #17
    I would wait to sell it. The difference in price from now until July won't be that significant.
     

Share This Page