Other Sell iPhone under 2 yr contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by partyboy4357, Jun 17, 2018.

1. partyboy4357 macrumors member

partyboy4357

can I sell my iPhone while under a 2 year contract? I have 16 months remaining.

2. TiggrToo, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018

TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

Contract with who? Details matter. What sort of contract? Plans and device or device alone? If both then was the device subsidised? And, the 6 billion dollar question is... What does your contract state?

And that's the rub: at the end of the day, no-one here can give you a truthful catagoric answer so take whatever replies you get with a large block of salt.

What I can tell you is that Apples upgrade program, for example, requires full payment unless you exercise the upgrade option. You owning or not owning the device doesn't seem to factor into this. Since you've not provided any information here is hard to say if this applies to you or not.

That said, the only answer you should accept is your contract.

3. snow755 macrumors 65816

snow755

selling a phone under a contract is not allowed on most selling sites they most be fully paid off 1st be for they can be sold online

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My suggestion would be to contact your carrier for your terms and conditions what you have to obide by. You’re under their rules what you can & cannot do for a phone that is _not_ paid off.

5. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

I sold my 6s+ while still on contract with 3 UK.

In the contract it states that after 6 months the phone is mine.
    It was after the 6 months and I kept the payments up of course.

I put the sim in an android phone.

read your contract BEFORE you sell it!

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In the U.S., you would still be legally responsible for any debt left on the device in a private sale. You need to read the terms and conditions of your contract.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If I were buying a iPhone off of eBay or even Craigs List, I would demand proof that the phone is paid for in FULL.

8. tonybarnaby macrumors 68000

You might be the most honest guy around, but anyone who would buy a phone and just trust the seller to keep paying for it is asking for trouble. Very bad idea, and sites like swappa don’t even allow it.

9. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

I sold it openly and said it was part of my contract. I had the phone 8 months and after 6 months in my contract the phone is mine.
    I told the lady who bought it, that it was still on contract.
    I like to be open and honest when sell anything so someone else.

besides as was using the sim in another device I had keep payments or they shut my sim off. :)

10. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

When I had sold my iPhone 7 I still had owed $350 on it. I sold it for $450 turned around and payed the $350 off immediately. If you plan on selling then paying off instantly I don’t see no problem doing that.

11. 4RunnerHeaven Suspended

12. eyoungren, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Your link is directly to the AT&T checker on this site.

Just bringing that up because I entered the IMEI of my old Sprint phone before I realized that. The link to change the carrier check is in their menu bar.

EDIT: Now, that's funny! :D

Sprint IMEI-ESN check - CLEAN, BLOCKED, FRAUD, STOLEN, UNPAID status checker..png

This is a Sprint iPhone 5, pre-orderered when that opened and delivered on launch day September 21, 2012.

Two year contract was complete in Sept. 2014.

13. 4RunnerHeaven Suspended

Interesting. It has worked for me with AT&T at least and I have verified it has cleared after I have paid off the device too.

14. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

The only thought I have on that is that the IMEI I used for this particular iPhone is from the fourth replacement.

I'm wondering what it would say if I found and used the IMEI of the original. I still have the box somewhere in the garage…