Sell ipod 2g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by weekendsrule32, Aug 22, 2009.

1. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

With the approaching of the release of ipod touch 3g, my question is is it worth it to sell my ipod touch 2g now, before demand drops? Or is it too risky with the new features of ipod touch 3g unconfirmed for the most part and also price unconfirmed?

2. macbooktouch macrumors newbie

3. weekendsrule32 thread starter macrumors member

ok well here is another question. When can the new ipod touch be expected to be released for sale?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Day of announcement, should it begin existing.

5. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

What you speak of is nothing but speculation right now.

6. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Every Ipod announcement in September has the Ipods available immediately. This year will be no different despite Dale's protest to the contrary. The multi year trend on Ipods have been to double memory for the same cost as the previous year. So the 16 GB 3G should be a the 8 GB cost, etc. If you can get good money for your 2G, you probably want to do it now.
    -Tig

7. Silencer macrumors member

Silencer

In my opinion I think you should sell early as you would get a good price for the 2nd gen.

I sold my 2nd gen over a month ago for a reasonable rice. i planned to get the iphone 3GS but its battery life and insane contracts ties made me change my wait to see the 3rd gen touch.

Don't get me wrong though I loved the 2nd gen. Had I not sold it I would have still have it. It was a spur of the moment thing.

Now i regret it at times.

8. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Sell now, IMO. The market value continues to drop as eBay becomes infested with users selling their Touches who got them free with the student discount.

9. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

My post wasn't meant to be a protest, I was merely stating the facts as they stand right now :)

10. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

will be announced on the 9/9/09. shipping on most models will be within 24hrs, possibly the iPt or others may take up to a month to begin shipping:eek:

11. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

sell it!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

if I was going to buy it from you, I wouldn't buy it, cause i Know if there is a possible 3G coming out, then why waste; unless you sold your ipod touch, for less than $120 maybe I would consider it :D

12. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

But its not really that much of a fact. Every year in September, Apple announces an event, the ipods start getting cleared from the store shelves and they announce new models for the Ipods which ship that day. The first two have happened, saying its a fact we don't know that new Ipods are going to be announced at the event is stretching the truth more then a little. Whats next, telling everyone we dont know the Gnu's are going to migrate North come May, and back south in the fall. I mean I realize I've had people on safari's worry the Great Migration isnt going to happen that year (and shortly after that 1/2 million or more animals surround the truck), but much like Apple announcing Ipods in September, it happens every year.
    -Tig

13. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Whatever... I just think claiming to know what Apple's going to do in the future, despite knowledge of past experience, is a bit foolish. I guess we'll all know come 9/9/09.

14. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I sold mine on eBay last week for that exact reason. I got $149 + actual shipping from someone doing a bin :) mine was a 2nd gen, 8 gb.

15. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Do you have an actual alternative theory about why they are removing the current Ipods from the shelves from Walmart, Best Buy and Target, other then they are replacing them with new models (ie the same reason they did it the last two years) on 9/9/9 ie when they say they will be back on the shelf. We've known for several days that Apple was going to release Snow Leopard on the 28th, and Apple finally announced it today. I personally think claiming that instead of doing what they do every year, Apple is doing something totally different with respect to ipods this year (taking them off the shelf and not updating them apparently is your theory), is more then a little foolish. I'm an Occam's Razor kind of guy. That means new Ipods on the 9th, just like usual.
    -Tig

16. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I guess we'll all know the state of the touch soon enough, smart guy :)

17. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

The real problem here is that I fully expect one year from today, you'll be telling people we dont know there is going to be a 4th generation Ipod Touch released in September. Its a silly trend on the site, we have doubters for weeks before the announcement. Two weeks from today when the boxes started get posted, (see last years Nano pics for instance), just before the announcement, the its not really happening builds to cresendo, and then amazingly, Apple will release virtually exactly what everyone has been posting for weeks (maybe with a surprise thrown in) and the doubters will be quiet for awhile, then start talking about how there is no way they will release x in January.
    -Tig

18. WordLife565 macrumors regular

apple isn't as secretive as they think they are...

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Especially since Phil Schiller himself said, paraphrased, "iPods in September", and that they've been updated in September for the past three years.

20. McBeats macrumors 6502a

yep yep, I would say sell. theres a lot of people out there unaware of their september refresh :)

21. iOrlando macrumors 68000

95% of people who buy ipods have no idea about apple's product timeline. People on macrumors usually know more about apple than apple store college employees.

22. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

As I said, we'll all know soon enough.

23. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Sad but very true...

I sold mine for a reasonable price. The minute the new ones are announced, your current iPod Touch will be worth about 50 dollars less. I figured if the new ones aren't announced this year (and why wouldn't they, look at the Zune HD, they'll definitely be competitive with those) I could use that money to get a refurbed iPod Touch or used of the next greater capacity. I say sell.

24. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I think most people on eBay aren't worrying about when the new iPod Touch is coming out, they are worried about getting a bargain.

My 2c