Sell iPod Classic now to get new Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by skiltrip, Aug 10, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I bought a new iPod Classic a few months back in the beginning of the summer. It's served me well, and I like it a lot. I wanted a no frills music machine to carry my entire music collection (currently around 50GB at 192 MP3 quality). But now the iPod touch thing has piqued my interest, and as I was planning on getting the new 32GB, selling my Classic would make up the rest of the money for the 64GB model, assuming the price points stay where they are. Then I could still keep my entire library on the new device.

The reasons for keeping the Classic would be... a dedicated music player that I could leave in my car a lot of the time, or left hooked up to my stereo in the house while I did other things, and wouldn't want my Touch tied up tethered to my stereo, as it will be my PDA and entertainment/internet machine.

What would you all do? Would you unload the Classic and get the 150/175 for it? Or keep it around for a no frills jukebox for uses like I mentioned?

2. gdkid2010 macrumors regular

If buying the touch wouldn't hurt you financially, then I would say go ahead keep the Classic and buy the touch. And like you said, keep the classic in your car, hooked up to your stereo, etc and just have the touch for portability and entertainment aspects.

That is what I would do.

3. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

4. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Wise words gentlemen. Thanks. I actually expected to hear..."ditch the Classic!", but I'm happy to hear you all feel the same as I do. The reason I got the Classic instead of the Touch earlier this year was mainly because I wanted a music device, and only a music device. I knew I'd be distracted doing other stuff on the Touch to actually use it for music. I knew the Classic would keep me focused on listening to music, and not playing Angry Birds, and watching YouTube clips all day. ;)

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

If buying the Touch will not bother you financially, I'd recommend that you keep the classic as an all-purpose music machine (it has excellent capacity and a very long battery life) and add the Touch, (32 or 64GB). That is what I did, and I do not regret it. They are different machines, and while I love the Touch (I have a 64GB) I remain a fan of the no-frills competence and capacity of the classic.

Cheers

6. EllieV macrumors 6502

Either way, if you sell the classic, or dont, you have to get an ipod touch. i got the first generation, and i was blown away! imagine if your first touch is a fourth!!!

7. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, I did briefly own the iPhone 4. And that is the reason I am dying to get the new Touch. So in a big way, I've already had a taste of it. I just want more (but without AT&T, a contract, and a monthly bill that I can't justify).

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Briefly?

9. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes. Short ownership, long story. lol.

10. EllieV macrumors 6502

Tell us the story! (after all, we are having short useless post syndrome, so a good story would help, so we can comment properly on it)

11. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

The brief version is... has mostly to do with job loss, and re-evaluation of one's financial state, and an aversion to getting locked up into a 2 yr. contract with AT&T at the moment.

i gotta point out that it has nothing to do with the iPhone 4. The thing is gorgeous, works awesome. If you're in a less than perfect signal area, sure a case is a good idea, but I had no complaints about it.

AT&T was also less than perfect though. Where I live, 3G is very good, but I travel outside of my county frequently, and signal was way worse in places I need to go from time to time. Complete loss of 3G, low bars of Edge. A few "Searching..."s.

All in all, it hurt to do it, but a return was necessary for my situation. Next year, or maybe the year after that, I'm sure I'll be following what they do next with the iPhone and I might get one again.

But the iPod touch with no recurring monthly bill, and no AT&T is quite ideal at the moment. Bring it!