Sell iPod touch 8gb before I receive rebate?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ronaldcastillo, Aug 1, 2010.

1. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

I recently bought a high end 27" iMac and I decided to get the free iPod touch 8gb. I want to sell this iPod through Craigslist and use the money I make to buy the upcoming iPod touch releasing early September (7th?). I did submit a rebate claim today (July 31, 2010) and won't get it till the ending of August. Am I safe to sell it now even though I didn't receive my rebate?

2. mkelly2115 macrumors member

I was actually thinking the same thing... There cant be a way for them to track it? Can there? I just applied for my rebates, I have the ipod, and the mbp comes Monday.

+1 for a good question.

Matthew :apple:

3. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm receiving all three no later then Tuesday (Hopefully Monday). Luckily the iMac, iPod touch, and Wireless Printer is coming all at once. I want to sell it, but I'm just scared Apple will ask me some type of info from the iPod through the process.

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

You can sell it whenever you want. They can't track it. Be sure you have the serial number and the receipt (or a copy of it) with you.

I would suggest you wait until the rebate comes...just to make sure:eek:
    but if you are in a hurry then go ahead and sell it.

cheers.

5. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm willing to wait, it's just that the resell value of the iPod touch may go lower as it comes closer to it's September refresh.

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

A few days wont matter much.

7. mkelly2115 macrumors member

That was my thought as well. Plus rumors of a new one had me thinking to sell asap. I am going to copy all the info down and then sell it. Any one know the eta of rebate status? Its my first big apple purchase other than my iphones that are eligible for rebates.

Matthew:apple:

8. dwu182, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  9. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

It's a good question. It's your machine. You're free to sell it or flush it down the toilet if you wish. All you need is the UPC tag cut from the inside of the box, and a copy of the receipt. One of the qualifying conditions isn't that you actually have the iPod! That would be pretty crazy if they demanded evidence that you still owned it before giving you the rebate. The only problem I could foresee is if they doubted that you qualified for the rebate because you weren't really a student. In that case you've still bought an iPod, just that you'll actually be paying for it.

10. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

my guess is that you won't see craigslist/ebay prices reflect the change in product until the week of the new announcement.