Sell Laptop now...or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yanksrock100, Mar 14, 2012.

?

What should I do?

  1. Sell now, before its too late!

    8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Wait, you will probably get the same amount in 6 months anyway.

    3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. yanksrock100, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

    yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

    yanksrock100

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego
    #1
    Hey guys! I'm planning to sell my laptop...this year. I Have a late 2008 Aluminum Upgraded to 8 Gigs of ram.
    Right now, these guys are going from $550-650 (most with only 2 gigs) on ebay.

    Should I wait to sell it, or sell it now? (I have an older family desktop and Tablet, so I can still surf the web and do my schoolwork)

    I'm worried that with a macbook pro redesign, nobody will want this model. Plus I dont want to wait 6 months and only get $450.

    So what do you guys think I should do?

    Ps. Im saving up to get the 11 inch macbook air...if I can sell this, I'm almost there :)

    EDIT: After seeing some more suggestions, I think I will probably go for the 13 inch air when I sell it.


    i decided to sell: Click here if you want to see it! Its $699, but I will consider all offers.
     
  2. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #2
    If your goal is to go from the MacBook to the MBA, you could always wait until you have the rest of the money. Of course if you aren't carrying your computer outside the house now, you might want to start the process of selling the MacBook so you have the cash in hand when you have the rest of it for the Air.
     
  3. InuNacho macrumors 65816

    InuNacho

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2008
    Location:
    In that one place
    #3
    Maybe it's my eternal hatred for the Air after they killed off my beloved Book line, but exactly why do you want an Air, in particular the 11 inch one?

    Your Book can take 2TB of on board storage compared to the Air's wimpy 64GB or 128GB and can have more things open at once thanks to that hefty 8GB or ram.
     
  4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

    AcesHigh87

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #4
    Fully agree. I understand people enjoy the speed of the SSD but that seems like the only plus side to the MBA to me. Sure, it's light, but it's not like the MBP's are heavy. Plus they come with a bunch more RAM; which if you drop from 8 down to 2 or 4 (even with the SSD) you WILL notice.

    Personally I would say save a bit more money and get a MBP. That's just my personal opinion though.

    In any case, I would say sell now. With every refresh that goes by the amount you can get for it will likely decline.
     
  5. yanksrock100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    yanksrock100

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego
    #5
    Hahaha ;) Well I changed my mind to the 13 Inch air.
    My thoughts on the 11 Inch was that is was very portable, but I dont want a screen size smaller than 13 after I realized...it will only have 64 gigs...and2 gigs of ram!
    So...I changed my mind...13 Inch if I sell it;)
     
  6. InuNacho macrumors 65816

    InuNacho

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2008
    Location:
    In that one place
    #6
    Hmm, I still don't see the point in upgrading. If you're going to store alotta stuff I would still avoid the airs.

    Why give up one of the most obscure Macs for a pretty generic one? I plan on holding onto my Blackbook for dear life and it's nowhere as rare as yours.
     
  7. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    #7
    I voted sell it now, but that was looking at it purely from cost.
    If you graphed the value of Apple products it would not be a linear curve.


    It would be a stair-step curve: The prices hold steady until a new generation is released and then they drop a little.

    It's very likely that a new generation of Macs will be released within 6 months. That would drop the value a bit.



    Personally, I'd keep what you have.
    1) It's a relatively rare mac. Only made for one year before it got renamed as Mac Book Pro.
    2) It can be updated. With the Air, what you buy is what you get.
    3) It isn't broken, so why get rid of it.
     
  8. yanksrock100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    yanksrock100

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego
    #8
    Also, if I sell it, how much should I ask for?
     
  9. east85 macrumors 65816

    east85

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    #9
    2.4GHz or 2.0GHz?
     
  10. yanksrock100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    yanksrock100

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego
    #10
    2.0, but 8 gigs of ram
     
  11. east85 macrumors 65816

    east85

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    #11
    Well I can't really suggest a price, but I can tell you that I got mine with 8GB of RAM @ 2.4Ghz with a 320GB hard drive for $600 a few months ago. Granted, I think that was a pretty good deal, but I think you could pull off maybe $700 if it's in great physical condition.

    Make sure to try Craigslist as well as Ebay, if Ebay was your only plan.

    I'm going to keep mine as it is for long term use (hence the upgraded SSD), but if you are set on the Air I think it would be a good idea to sell now. When OSX ML comes out this summer there's going to be at least one big feature that won't work on the older MacBooks that I can think of and that's AirPlay. That might be another thing to think about, on top of the fact that everyone seems to be pretty certain that an upgrade is on the way very soon.
     
  12. yanksrock100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    yanksrock100

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego
    #12
    Thanks for all your info!
    I'm gonna put it up on ebay for $700 Buy it now, within the next week or so...and see what happens.

    Thanks again!
     
  13. yanksrock100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    yanksrock100

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego
    #13
    It is scheduled to go on sale tomorrow night at $715 or best offer :)
    I would accept $650 maybe...if you guys are interested make an offer...who knows! :)
     
  14. BlackbookGuy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    #14
    Wirelessly posted

    I totally get the sentiment here, but I'd take the money from selling it. I just posted about selling my black book 2006 for $450 and don't regret it even though it was a rarely sighted machine.

    Anyways, to the OP: If I got $450 on kijiji surely you could get way more? Just a thought, I may be way off.
     
  15. yanksrock100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    yanksrock100

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego
    #16
    I'm hoping :)
     

Share This Page