Sell late 2011 17 with or without SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DeafWhisperer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. DeafWhisperer macrumors newbie

I'm undecided whether to pull the Crucial M4 512GB SSD out and put the standard HD back into 2011 17 MacBook Pro for sale or not?

Is it more marketable and easier to sell MBP with SSD? Or most of the buyers for used MBP tends to look more into value based as oppose to performance?

Is it better to sell SDD by itself? (I'm aware that it has dropped to $399 and that's fine)

Not to digress from this thread topic but I'm also wondering about not selling the SDD and use it as an external backup via thunderbolt. Are there any bottlenecks in this setup that makes it closer to HD external setup? I will keep it if it works a charm with the TB Display and rMBP. I wish I could do a lot of research and experiment a bunch of set up but I'm pretty short on time for now.

If you have any experiences or opinions, please share.

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I'd sell it with the stock hd and keep the ssd. You would probably get more money selling the two separately since, depending who you plan on selling it to, they might not fully understand the value and speed of a SSD.

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If you plan to buy a base MBP retina or not then keep SSD. :apple:

5. BB.King macrumors regular

SSD price have dropped a lot over the last few months (as you wrote), so I'd at lest sell the SSD as an option when listing your mbp if you not planning to use it in other machines.

Unless you are planing to run OS or programmes of the external drive, I think 1Tb usb3 2.5" portable hd is much cheaper option for media files.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Considering you probably paid about $800 for the SSD...and you will maybe get an extra couple hundred on your asking price because of it, I would say, keep the ssd and put it in an enclosure! Or sell it separately. Sadly upgrades tend to sell better outside the unit.

7. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Count me in agreement with the majority of previous posts. You'll probably end up with more funds if you sell the two separately. That's a nice SSD by the way.