Sell Mac Pro for macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jdee2wheels, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jdee2wheels macrumors member

Hi,

I have an older mac pro (2.66 GHZ Dual Core Xeon) and I'm wondering if I should sell it and get a macbook pro. I use it mostly for Adobe lightroom and photoshop to process my nikon d700 RAW files. It works perfectly fine, but I was wondering if one of the new 13" or 15" macbook pros would be roughly the same speed for this kind of work and I'd have the added benefit of being able to carry the laptop around when needed and "dock" it with my external monitor, keyboard, mouse and a HD enclosure at home.

I have 7 gigs of ram, about 1TB of hard drive space, and the stock NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT in the mac pro

Thoughts?

2. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

You know I've been toying with that idea, only I was thinking of getting either the 15 or 17" MBP.

I do have a 13" macbook that I use for basic editing, and it works just fine, but I can't help but wonder if the new macbook pros are that much better.

3. jdee2wheels thread starter macrumors member

My friend has a 15" macbook pro that he uses for mostly the same work and I swear that his computer feels faster than mine does. I'd probably consider the stock 13" macbook pro with 4 gigs of ram since I think I could break even selling the mac pro.

I don't really need a laptop, but it certainly would be nice to be a little more mobile if the costs and speed hits weren't big.

4. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

bear in mind though. the 13" MBP doesn't have a dedicated GPU, the 9400m is great and all, but not a true card.

I have 4GB of ram in my macbook and it definitely helps a lot with processing the large raw files from my 5DmkII, but that graphics card makes a difference as well!

5. jdee2wheels thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking that but do you really think that card is much worse than the stocker in my mac pro? Also, at this point at least, I don't think lightroom or photoshop really uses the graphics card that much, though that might change in the future.

I'd be interested in doing a small bit of video, but it would really only be some short home movie clips and I can't image the stock macbook pro couldn't handle this too.

6. justit macrumors 6502a

Depends on how much you can get for your pro. Yes a mb pro and 24" is a nice combo but I hate the crimped expandability. I'll never sell my mac pro if I don't have to since I offload rendering and use my laptop only for lightweight work.

7. Cuda macrumors member

I'd say, yes pull the trigger and sell the Mac Pro for a MacBook Pro.

With what your doing, you'll not really see any downside, and lots of upside.

Someone will put your old Pro to better use.:D