Sell MBP for Alienware?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WAM2, Nov 22, 2011.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

As a Increasing Gamer, The MacBook pro i have isnt reeeally ideal for gaming, it runs games fantastic, but Not good enough. Would it be worth selling it for an M11x or M14x??? (Please no PC vs Mac wars, if I Want to game on the MBP its on windows, and I Like quality PC's as much as macs.)

I Would hopefully get at least $750-$800 out of my MBP

I'm basicly considering any gaming laptop (asus, MSI)

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

3. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

That also is another Option i am considering, But I Use my MBP around the house all the time, So a Desktop isnt Really ideal for me 100%

4. lickitysplit macrumors regular

He means keep your MBP and buy a desktop for games.

5. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Thanks for the input, I'm just not sure, I Love the Build quality of the MBP and the display and OS is simply amazing, But Would it be worth giving up for mobile gaming, and dedicated gaming in general?? I'm really stuck here, I Want change on my laptop (this one is getting old, And The Core 2 Duo is just getting to outdated for me.). I Love the general Beast look of the Alienware but I Love Simplicity. Basicly, Give up Build Quality and Simplistic Looks, for Performace, Features, and Beastly Look. I Do Own other macs, so not getting back to Mac OS X is not a problem, But coming from other mac users like all of you, would you really do this if you were a casual, but becoming more into gaming gamer??

----------

Whole reason I Would sell the MBP is to get a gaming machine.. I Dont have the money to buy ANOTHER computer... I Already Have 1 Decent PC Laptop and 3 Macs.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, if gaming is important to you, I'd get a laptop that is more geared towards that type of usage. Sell your MBP and get one that better fits your needs

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What do you need the "decent PC latop", 2010 iMac and 2007 Macbook for? Why not sell them and get yourself a gaming desktop?

Is mobile gaming a priority? Gaming laptops are full of comprises, just like all laptops are. The battery life when playing games is abysmal so you will still need to be connected to a power source.

I wouldn't want to be playing games on an 11" or 14" screen so a desktop gaming PC makes the most sense, especially as you can get one with much better specifications than the Alienware laptops for a lot less money.

8. lickitysplit macrumors regular

Depending on what you play I still wouldn't use a laptop for a dedicated gaming machine. The question is do you need to play games like BF3 on max settings anywhere or will you only end up playing games at home anyways?

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree with others; it sounds like the MBP isn't what you need so I'd go with the gaming PC.

10. iHazbadmac macrumors newbie

The alienware m11x (11 inches) can run Mass effect 2 on the highest possible setting except for the resolution. So yes long story short, if you dont like Mac's overpriced but luxerious and very good looking looks and just want games go with alienware. P.s The new alienware m18x is the strongest laptop in the world.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Depends on what you mean by strongest. If you configure it in such a way that it costs $4,224 then it is quite fast indeed, but still slower than a Clevo X7200 or HP Elitebook 8760w in many application tests and is faster in a couple of them.

In gaming it beats the Clevo X7200 in some games and is slower in others.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4954/alienwares-m18x-part-2-amds-radeon-hd-6990m-in-crossfire

12. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

I second that. Definitely keep the MBP. And for games, have a separate Windows machine with a decent graphics card. Nowadays, you can build tiny but powerful mini-ITX gaming PCs for cheap (< 600€).

13. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Thanks for all the advice and input, I Have decided to sell the MBP and build a Custom Desktop.. I Originally was going to do this before buying the MBP and Am now regretting it, All seems to be turning out well as with the little money I Put into upgrades boosted the value of the mac. Bottom line, I Should have at least $800-$900 to spend on a gaming pc.

14. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I would get rid of the lot, get a decent gaming rig and an MBA or 13"MBP, sounds like you have a few computers, and unless each one has a specific purpose that one decent PC and an MBA can't fulfill, then I would cull that collection a bit.

15. thunderboltmac macrumors member

thunderboltmac

If you need your laptop for travel or school, i would recommend you to keep it and to buy a separate gaming pc instead as the alienware is relatively heavy and bulky.:D

16. IGotBush macrumors member

keep the mbp for school and work, and start saving up to build a budget rig (assuming you're that broke). You can make a decent gaming build that will work fine for $1000 be a lot more bang for your buck than a gaming laptop.

17. aCondor macrumors 6502

Don't take this the wrong way... but do you really think you need to replace your MBP when you already have four laptops? If the other laptops aren't being used, why not sell them and get a gaming desktop PC? Best of all worlds.

18. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The other advantage of the gaming desktop is that you can upgrade it a few times, so it will be able to play new games for a while. The gaming laptop will be outdated in 2 years I guess, and then you can't upgrade the GPU or buy a new CPU without replacing the whole laptop.

Why not sell your iMac instead of the MBP? And maybe also the older MBP?

19. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

For gaming, the m11x or m14x is insanely good. But like everyone said, unless you need portability or gaming on the go, I'd get a gaming desktop. maybe a netbook or something. A gaming desktop will run you around $600 for pretty damn good specs and a $200 netbook (or $150 used) will equal the price of your MBP.

The m11x is awesome except the screen is pretty crappy. M14x.. you're better off getting a desktop cause that thing weighs a ton and battery life is probably not great.

20. ABadSanta macrumors regular

Have you thought about having just one computer to use? You could get a top of the line 15".

The gaming desktop is a good idea- You can build a great one for less than $1000.