Sell MBP for NEW MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hondje, Jan 29, 2008.

  1. hondje macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location:
    South Bend, IN
    #1
    Last April I purchased my first Mac, a Macbook Pro:

    Intel 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo
    2GB, 120GB HD, 256MB SDRAM
    Leopard

    I love it. It is such an amazing computer.

    Here is my question:

    Should I sell it now on eBay while it is worth something, and purchase a new MBP when they come out (rumored here in the next couple of weeks)? I can purchase a current model bottom end MBP at the Apple Store with the Education Discount for $1800. With upgrades to Penryn imminent, I would think the low grade MBP would be better than my current MBP, also to include multi-touch.

    What do you think I could get out of my current MBP? $1500? If the difference between selling my current one and a new shiny one is not too different, perhaps it is a no-brainer.

    So stick with my current MBP, or sell it and get a new one on the Education Store when they come out?

    Thanks for all your help!
     
  2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

    skyrider007

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #2
    keep it, why bother upgrading after less than a year? the difference won't be that much anyway and you can never have the latest and the greatest for more than 6-7 months.
     
  3. Blacksamurai87 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #3
    MBPro Seller

    I'm actually looking for a new Macbook also, but haven't decided yet. I'd happily buy it for $1300 as long as it is in great condition, but selling it on eBay is probably not a good idea since you lose money and people like to complain about little things like fan noise and send it back.

    Or, just be happy with what you have, since upgrades are inevitable.
     
  4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

    noodle654

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    Never Ender
    #4
    Keep it. I really don't see the point of upgrading your computer every few months. Your MBP is great and probably has no problems so just keep it. Upgrade it in a year or two.
     
  5. bayol05 macrumors regular

    bayol05

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #5
    Looks like your guess might be right. Mac2sell.com quotes the value of your MBP at 1480. Here is a screenshot.
     

    Attached Files:

  6. mashinhead macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2003
    #6
    that is low balling that is worth at least 1600-1700 easy
     
  7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

    skyrider007

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #7
    i agree
     
  8. bijou macrumors regular

    bijou

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2007
    #8
    Keep it and be happy!
    I have the same one but maxed out the RAM and swapped in a larger HD, and it is extremely fast with all of my apps.
     
  9. odinsride macrumors 65816

    odinsride

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2007
    #9
    I have the same question, I have a 17" 2.4ghz MBP, and while I like it and it's awesome, I wish I had bought the 15" instead. The HR screen makes things too small to read, and the laptop is pretty large to be lugging around.

    Is it worth it to buy a 15" mbp when the new ones are released and sell my 17"?
     
  10. djinn macrumors 68000

    djinn

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2003
    #10
    I have the same machine as you and the only thing I'm thinking is just upgrading the HDD. This machine does everything I need it to.
     
  11. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2006
    Location:
    Michigan
    #11
    Pretty pointless to sell. Though apple does like people like you.
     
  12. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

    ktbubster

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #12
    If it still have the option to buy applecare (under the 1 year mark) you can probably get 1600-1700 for that on ebay easily. I like upgrading my computer every year if I can do so without losing any or a little money on the deal. So far I've done that twice and amazingly actually made money on the deal (i am just really lucky with ebay sales i guess lol)

    I think you could upgrade to whatever the newest one ends up being for about 100 or less if you market that on ebay well :)
     
  13. soms macrumors 6502

    soms

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle
    #13
    If you sell put it up for $1600 ~
    but IMHO I would keep it til next year.
     
  14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #14
    You'll never achieve lasting satisfaction until you learn to stop chasing after the newest things.
     
  15. mashinhead macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2003
    #15
    I agree I have the same machine, I just upgraded the ram, and I will upgrade the hd when the samsung 500gb hd comes out. There really is no reason to upgrade until quad-core processors come out. And believe me if you upgrade now when they do you'll want to upgrade anyway. So wait cos any upgrades inbetween now and then will be like 5-10% which is.. eh.
     
  16. Pivzavod macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2008
    #16
    Well, you can get a brand new 15'' 2.2 MPB C2D for 1690 on ebay(i've seen one a couple of days ago), so the highest price one can give for your machine is 1350 (or try to find a fool :) Anyway, you won't feel any performance problems for a long time with your current machine.
     

Share This Page