Sell MBP + Mac Mini, buy new 15" MBP? With Pics

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by katyoshi, Apr 18, 2010.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Hello all,

First of all, I am always into new technology and money isn't too much of an issue. If you look at my signature, thats all the apple stuff I have. I am a 24 year old male, registered nurse who is attending grad school to become a FNP. I just wanted to give you a glimpse of me.

Well. I had a rush of apple stuff ever since I got into Macs the first time in my life in late summer of 2009. I am thinking about selling my MBP+Mac mini to buy the high end 15" 2.53Ghz i5 with Hi-Res Glossy display. I like glossy because the colors seem more vibrant and also if I take my MBP out and on trips, when I watch movies its really beautiful. I also want to play Starcraft 2 smoothly on a Mac. I'll mainly use this for graduate school, basic computing, entertainment etc. My thing is, although I have MobileMe to sync all my devices and I have a 64GB iPad, it seems I'm not really using my current MBP that I have. I use it only when I'm at school (which I go to campus about once a week for class) or at Starbucks. Majority of my lecture courses are online work. Of course, my clinical course is on campus or off campus at a clinical site which I won't be using my laptop there obviously. All my devices have Applecare.

I do have the 24" Apple Cinema Display to connect to and it really is a convenience to be able to get onto the computer with a push of a button on the mac mini and not have to connect/disconnect the MBP. Does the display go bad if you constantly connect and disconnect the MBP from it? Shouldn't right? Although the convenience is there, I'm thinking I went a little overboard on my computer devices and I'm neglecting my MBP. Don't get me wrong, I know that I do need a laptop rather than desktop as I take my work with me to school and Starbucks and I know the iPad has many limitations that it will not replace a laptop as many people thought it would.

With the extra money from selling the two devices, I would be able to also purchase the new upcoming "iPhone 4G (or HD)" this summer if it ever comes out and of course, I would also sell my iPhone 3GS.

So do you think it'll be wise for me to stay with one computer, the MBP?

Attached Files:

2. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Why do you have a Mac Mini? Plugging your MBP into the monitor essentially replaces this device, heck, even the current MBPs are faster than the mini, and their portable. Unless you bought the mini to test out OSX, you should've sold it when you got the MBP unless you have some other use for it (multimedia server for example).

You should be good with the new MBP, hook it up to the monitor when you are home, if you actually need to take a laptop with you you can do that too.

I don't think the ipad could replace a computer, only for very basic users it could but the rest of us that actually need to run specific software it can't help.

Connecting/disconnecting is what it was meant to do.

If you don't really use your MBP that often right now, consider dropping down to a smaller 13", or even saving some cash and getting a used last gen 2.26. But you also want to play Starcraft so you kinda need the new 15" MBP.

It seems that you simply need to get rid of the Mac Mini, and get a newer MBP. You don't use the MBP because shipping it out and connecting stuff is too much of a hassle when your Mini is already there, on, with programs open.

3. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez,

Thank you for your reply. I thought in similar ways to you. Right now, I feel like I've wasted money on buying two computers when one was good! I think I may sell my mac mini and MBP to get the newer MBP maybe in the summer because that's when the usual school promotions come up with "free" ipod touches :) or something better! What do others think?