Sell MBP now or wait to see what iSlate/tablet is?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by decson, Jan 8, 2010.

1. decson macrumors regular

Hi all

Ok, I have a MBP 13" the high end model, though is used only for
    • Surfing
    • Light excel (budget management)
    • Email
    • When away on holiday for web, films and music in hotel in rooms

I already have iMac 27" 3.06 which is for photo work, etc, and a mac mini for home theatre at home. So the MBP is under used considerably, though does look great and is fast (ok the looking great is important be honest all!) and of course an iPhone...

Ok with the new quad core MBP's rumoured to be coming out shortly, and the new iSlate.. would it be worth while selling it now? to get best bang for buck, as I am hoping the iSlate/tablet will do all I want (see list above).

I want to move away from a lap top as although I use the MBP a lot at home more than iMac, this is generally on the sofa, and bored of having to lean over or sit up to use it all the time, and I hate reading ebooks on it, will use iPhone (but screen tooo small!)

Anyone else in the same predicament/mind set? I know we don't know what the tablet will do so its a risk to jump and sell it now, but this is Apple.

Media wise, I can easily convert mkvs to m4v's etc for the tablet, all my music is iTunes all ready, have quite a few ebooks (on iPhone) so the Kindle at mo is a tempting offer, but I hope that the tablet will cater for this using the new pixel tech...

What would you do? wait for announcement? though risk is with the quad cores coming out and pushing down price further? Or sell now and be without for a few months and hope the tablet does the trick.

Key worries, that safari is more akin to safari on iPhone than Mac, I like having tabs, and pop ups with some sites!

thanks all

G

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

the sooner you sell, the more you will get.

also, there are no quad core MBPs coming soon.

3. decson thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry meant the i5 Arrandale chip set..

Yes I know, just wanted to see if anyone else was thinking the same. Perhaps give it another week to see if any hard facts come out and then chose whether to ebay or not to ebay!

Thanks

G

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

With the tablet rumors pointing to an iPhone-ish OS, you may want to think about whether the things you do on your MBP can also be done on a large iPhone. If it can, then the tablet is for you. If you need to run things like photoshop (which don't have a complex iPhone OS counterpart), then keep the MBP.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

sell it! lol. invest in a cheap netbook since you already got 2 desktop lol. just my 2 cents:D

6. decson thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

techound1 - I guess my big concern is browser capability. If the browser is no tabs, etc like the iPhone one then I couldn't. For everything else, I rarely if ever use my MBP for photo work unless downloading from card to facebook, but again I can do that on iMac. With the rumors of the improved camera in next iPhone I will probably use that more (only have 3g at mo, wanted more to make me jump to 3GS. I already can open an xls doc on iphone and put a number in with ease. Wouldn't want anything more on this.

elpmas - I don't want the laptop form, as my message states I don't want to be leant over a keyboard when on the sofa, the iPhone i ideal for this, but too small and too limiting at present.

I will look on ebay at the prices they are going and decide this week whether to sell now or wait till 27th/ or beyond.

Thanks

7. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

for one thing the iphone browser does have tabs.

the question is a matter of how the software works. if it's designed to be restricted to the appstore then you'll only be able to choose the safari browser.

this however seems unlikely in my opinion for a device that is as powerful as the tegra platform is (likely candidate). however, apple is making money hand over foot with the appstore. logic says no. cynicism says yes.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sell your MBP? Why would you want a tablet as your primary machine.

Well, that's true for other people. For you, it's definitely a consideration. On the other hand, even if I had an iMac, I'd rather have a MBP. Will a tablet offer any more convenience over a laptop? Will it be easier to use for hours whole away from home?

I'd imagine it to be large iPhone, which wouldn't be usable for more than 30 minutes for spamming at MR.

9. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

explains....

10. decson thread starter macrumors regular

More info

I understand the benefits of having a full lap top, mine travels with me if I go away etc. However, I only use it to chat online, forums, facebook, other chat sites. Hence even though the iPhone does have tabs, the moving to a new window for pop up chat is not easy, as it can lose the session (log in) in previous window, hence my concerns or wish list for the new Safari on the tablet probably safest term, to be more akin to the safari on the MBP, etc..

I do hope ok perhaps wish list again, that you could connect a key board or even mouse via blue tooth, I would happily take both if was away for a few weeks but if it was a long weekend why would I need it?

Also, if I go out to meet friends or sit and have a coffee, I don't want to take my lap top, the iPhone is too small to use for proper browsing all of the time, the tablet (I hope) size will make this different as well as the size being smaller than a lap top less to carry, yes I could handle not having a keyboard, for quite some time.

I love reading and love the ebooks on my iPhone, however, the glare and screen size annoys, so again, hopefully these two will be resolved in the new tablet.

the reason I started the thread was to see if anyone else was in the same boat, I have no expectation that it will allow me to do coding or photo shop etc, would be nice to have an iPhoto light, but being honest not needed..

The apps available on the iPhone already, are way beyond what we all expected when they first released the iPhone or beyond my expectations anyway, and it has changed how I use the web i.e. facebook on iphone before was safari version, now theres an app.. And that is just a very basic example.

My other option is to keep the MBP and get a Kindle, I can read on that, even browse to a degree, and would take it with me every day to work for tube, bus, train, where I would never do that with a laptop. I see/hope the tablet will be the in between laptop/iphone that gives me these benefits..

Does that make sense? Or am I hoping too much for the tablet...