Sell MBP or Not? Mac feats?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iwork4apple, Sep 8, 2007.

  1. iwork4apple macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    #1
    Mac Feats has the newer 2.8 faster than the MBP even though:
    a) it's ram render preview (not realtime)
    b) 2.8 vs 2.2

    In my experience, I tried 6 new iMacs 2.4 and 2.8 and added one - seven FX or transistions in FCP. It stuttered every time.

    Not one of the MAC BOOK PROS stuttered. Sure, 2.8 will render faster, but with real time FX or transitions, it stutters.

    Anyway, my 2.2 is less than 1 month old, have someone ready to shell $1800 to me if I want over the weekend.

    What I do:
    I) Music, soft synths, vocals, drum machine logic, nuendo, etc.
    II) Some editing.

    I would lose the express slot meaning no eSATA card and raid two (2) Lacie d2 HD's. Or should I hold onto this MBP and wait for newer Mac Pro's?

    My thinking is I would get some performance gain in audio with the faster HD, 800 FW on both now and a HUGE display for the price of the MBP but lose the EXPRESS slot and RAID capabilities. They don't call them MBPros for no reason you know.

    Advice?

    Thanks!
     
  2. iwork4apple thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    #2
    First off, here is what you lose going iMac, as this is a express slot and using a lot of audio samples, I could no longer do this, or would a FW 800 suffice?
    http://www.barefeats.com/hard71.html

    Over in MAC forums they are saying stuttering will probably be fixed. And wondering if the RAM RENDER is the way to go anyway?

    Video is secondary, audio first, but then again I lose the raid, but would gain a larger display (which I could buy anyway) and could use FW800 (would that be fast enough), but my high end audio is FW400. So if one is connected to iMac 400, HD's to 800, does that count as slowing it down?

    Confused big time.

    Not sure what to do.

    Thanks!
     

Share This Page