Sell MBP Penryn for 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blairh, Jul 31, 2009.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Hey guys,

Curious to find out what you all think about this one. I own and love the Penryn edition MBP (2.4 GHZ, 2 GB, 200 HD, Matte).

At the same time, I've started to really admire the current base model MBP (13.3" edition). I specifically like the fact that it is smaller (more portable) and the glass track pad.

On the flip side, I wonder if I'll miss the better screen resolution on my current MBP, and screen real estate.

Also, how does the graphics processor on the current MBP's compare to the one in my Penryn model?

Lastly, I would never sell my Penryn unless I got at least $1,000 for it (I have Office loaded on it, and Final Draft. Not sure that's enough to get that much money for it though).

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Having software "loaded" doesn't increase your value. Unless, of course, you provide the software media that came with it when you bought it. But "loaded" tends to imply something else.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Don't upgrade downgrade.

I own the exact same computer as you do (with upgraded HDD). My brother owns a unibody MacBook, which for all practical purposes is the same as the 13" MBP for what you want from it.

The problems you will run into are that there is a serious loss of screen real estate, the graphics aren't dedicated, it has less power (only the high end 13" has higher power than your current computer, even then only slightly), you lose the expressCard slot (but gain an SD slot), and you lose the firewire 400 port.

That said, you will likely get anywhere from $900 to $1200 for your current computer pending the condition it is in and the method through which you sell it.

4. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Yeah, I agree about the issue with less screen size. I've been using 15.4 laptops for almost 6 years now.

Looks like I'm keeping the MBP. Thanks!

5. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Well... I don't know about screen and graphics, my 9400M does well enough, except for the Aero effects 7 has through Boot Camp, but less power? Except for the 140Mhz CPU, the RAM for the current generation is DDR3, and, if he gets the 2.53Ghz one, it clearly has more power. Not to mention that he can always upgrade to 8GB when he needs. Lose the FW 400 port? You get a FW800, and buy an adapter. Or replace your current FW400 devices with some 800 ones. Plus, we don't even know if the OP uses FW.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The MBP he and I have has both a FW 800 and 400 port. The new one only has a FW 800. This is why he will lose it.

Losing the dedicated graphics card will make a difference when using OpenCL in the upcoming Snow Leopard. Also, don't forget that although the graphics chip in the new MBP will work for most things, it is still not as powerful as the one he has.

2.4GHz to 2.53GHz on the same processor is practically no difference :rolleyes:

7. nigameash macrumors 6502

i have the mbp 15" 2.4ghz 256mb 8600gt (santa rosa model) and i would never get a 13" unibody.

1) glossy screen- it looks horrible when light falls on it! it CANNOT be used outdoors! even indoors your position + the light's position must be adjusted so that light doesnt fall on the laptop n if you change your sitting position, you need to adjust the laptop too!
    2) fw400- some of my devices only have fw400 so i would hate to lose that
    3) dedicated graphics- no matter what others say about the 8600 series, a 9400 shared cant beat a 8600 dedicated!
    4) expresscard slot- i'd hate to lose out on it for a SD slot! you can always attach an external card reader if you want.

reasons i would consider an unibody mbp-
    1) cooler laptop
    2) 8gb ram

if i ever consider buying one of the latest mbp's i d def look at the 2.8ghz mbp 15"

right now the only other upgrade i am considering is the penryn 15" with 512mb graphics with the widescreen display

EDIT-

another reason to buy the latest mbp- 7 hours battery life!

8. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    No, it's great actually. I've used it in many conditions ever since I've got it, and, even at half brightness, it's still usable in very good contitions.
    It's all about the kind of applications you run. Except for games (Guitar Hero, CoD4 and Second Life), my 9400M does great on anything I throw at it.
    I can think of some situations where attaching a card reader is not such a great option. But it's a personal matter, I'd say. All the cameras I've used have an SD card.

9. nigameash macrumors 6502

i owned a glossy santa rosa mbp before i got it exchanged for the matte display. the movies + games looked way more amazing on it, not to forget the hd movies but still the light created alot of issue for me, just the way it reflected back at particular angles. i'd always prefer a matte display over the glossy. you can buy an anti-glare screen protector for the latest mbp's but i dunno how well it works.

10. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Can someone tell me the exact difference performance wise between the graphics card on my Penryn MBP and the current base model 15" edition?

EDIT: Don't bother, already asked in another thread.