Sell MBP Procedures? Sell recently? HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vpro, Dec 2, 2012.

1. vpro, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

1- How to go about selling your brand new, gently used MBP bought within only a couple of months?

2- Can you factory restore/reset and how? So that new buying can set her up the way they want it.

3- Can new buyer register for warranty with my original receipt of purchase, or simply just providing date and place of purchase based off of original receipt? Or would a genius be able to look into the system profile and know when the produce was purchased from an apple reseller?

ALSO..

1- How to transfer JamPack files from my old (dying) macbook pro to my newly bought macbook pro? I need a video tutorial on that because there are a lot of text instructions that do not make any sense and have been unsuccessful for me.

.. thanks ..

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

1. Craigslist(my favorite), eBay, etc. Marketplace here at MacRumors
    2. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718
    3. They just need to call Apple and give them serial # and they will transfer - it's so easy. Its actually to easy for my comfort.

3. CirrusPilot macrumors member

I don't even think you need to transfer the warranty. It goes with the serial number I believe. When the register the mac it will change it.

To erase it (assuming you don't have tons of sensitive info) create a new admin user account, log into that, and delete your normal user account (all done in system preferences). With Mtn. Lion (which I assume you are running) it has the option of doing a secure wipe of that user's home folder. That will take care of everything.

Also, craigslist is the best place, assuming you live in an larger metro area with a craigslist. eBay kind of sucks these days as it is filled with Chinese companies selling buy-it-now junk.

4. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

thanks so much, also...

the macbook pro i am selling i brought recently from best buy
    will all the above tips still apply?

also i am running LION on this particular MBP?

you're great thanks !

5. CirrusPilot macrumors member

yeah, lion should let you do a secure wipe of the home folder too. Either way, the easiest thing to do is to create that new admin account, log out of your old account and into the admin account, and then delete the old account.

I have bought a used macbook before with apple care and when I went into the store for a software issue, they simply looked up the serial, saw it was still under warranty, and fixed it. They never asked who I was, and I never transferred the apple care.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I agree with CirrusPilot, I think when the new owner sets up the computer the warranty is automatically transferred(warranty is on the machine).

But, I would do a complete reinstall, hold Option and choose to Restore.
    This should bring it back to factory state.

7. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

thanks again !

you're all great thank you =^_^=

the mbp is so new i haven't installed anything substantial just updates, so i'll just set up a new admin upon transfer of ownership then as instructed above !

best !

8. CirrusPilot macrumors member

A clean install is a great idea. You may still want to wipe your home file before doing that if you have any kind of sensitive info. I don't think a clean install actually securely wipes the drive. Not that anyone would be that sophisticated, or even care enough to try to recover files, but I always err on the side of caution. You never know who you are selling it to.

9. nephilim7 macrumors regular

I sell my used apple gear to strangers almost every time. On Craigslist I can get about 85% of the original purchase price assuming it's only one model back and in good condition, most sell within hours, just be careful with scams and people that want you to ship. Meet people in coffee shops or malls, never let the device out of your sight, and ask for, and do not take anything but, cash.

I do a fresh install of the OS after a secure wipe.

10. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I completely agree. I wouldn't us anything but cash and I wouldn't want to meet without lots of witnesses.

I wouldn't just delete the user account. That can still leave small traces behind. Use the recover partition to erase the hard drive. Then re-install.