Sell me MobileMe! Make me want it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Whimsicool, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Whimsicool macrumors newbie

Whimsicool

It just doesn't seem that phenomenal. What am I missing?

2. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

wrong forums it belongs in the Mobile Me Thread..... and as a .Mac user I am very happy with MobileMe I have yet to have any problems what so ever

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You get a bunch of features which are available online for free?

Apple lied - there is no push between your computer and iPhone or the website.

Don't buy it, it really is a waste of money.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Nothing. You don't want it.

5. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Push email works just fine ... okay, so you can't update your calendar in iCal and immediately have it your iPhone ... jeez, that 15 minutes wait is just torture, isn't it? If the appointment is within 15 minutes, why do you need a calendar entry? (Unless you're Guy Pearce in "Memento.") Same with a contact ... if you need it immediately on your phone, then type it into your phone, then it will sync back to your computer when your computer links into Mobile Me ... again, 15 minutes.

There are some good reasons not to get Mobile Me (cost and reliability being at the top) but this sync nonsense has to stop.

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

ActiveSync does what MobileMe can do, there's no point for mobileme.

7. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Well when everyone has an exchange server to connect to then your statement will have more validation.

8. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I guess I need to finish my sentence...

9. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I like push. It's clean and when it works it works well. I think it is a great step in the right direction. I've been with .Mac for a few years and the new stream lined set up is good. But it is still a baby and sometimes it poops.

10. bredell macrumors regular

The feature I use most, apart from wireless sync, is Back to My Mac. Using that I can reach my Mac at home when I'm at work.

11. FJR macrumors regular

why don't you just try it out for yourself? you get two months worth of free trial. Sell yourself on it.

If yahoo push email actually worked, I doubt I would keep it after my trial period goes away. Even with that, I'm still going back and forth.

Luckily, I have like two extra months free because of all of apple's screwups to decide.

12. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

I use it with Windows XP and I've had problems with MobileMe giving me errors online with my Calendar. It has also caused my Outlook to not shut down properly more than a few times.

Good thing this is a trial membership.

13. FJR macrumors regular

yeah, I get that. I also frequently get "your MobileMe subscription has expired, to continue service please upgrade to a full paid membership" when I have three months left.

Also, the other day the mobileme sync client was just going crazy on my CPU, using up like half of its power for 20-30 minutes for no apparent reason. I had to kill the process.

14. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

buy it now or Steve will come and Steal your iPhone!

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like MobileMe. It sure had a rough start, but it is working great for me. I really like that I can enter in appointments, contacts, etc. on any of my Apple equipment and within a few minutes it is on all of stuff. The online storage is pretty nice too.

16. mike12806 macrumors 6502

How about a version of "mobileme" server being built into Snow Leopard server? :p

Just kidding!

17. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

The best part of .MacMoibleMe is the synching between your desktop and laptop. It does a good job keeping everything up to date on both.

The other cool feature is how easy it is to set up Web Galleries of photos from iPhoto that you can share with friends and family. Much better than the old iWeb photo gallery pages. The new Web Gallery also has a very slick, Mac-like interface.

I also use the Public folder on my iDisk to share large files with clients (although it would be nice to be able to password-protect individual folders within the Public folder).

The one silly feature I really liked on .Mac were the e-greeting cards you could email to people. Unfortunately, this is gone from Me.com.

18. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Actually that isnt a bad idea.
    This way everyone can keep a copy of their EVERYTHING on their own machine. If things go down, it is their problem. Apple can still provide mobile me on their end but kind of like active sync provide an OS X version of an exchange server.

I love that idea. I am not going to pay $100 a year for Mobile Me, I have my own server. I would gladly give $200 (or more) for a server license to OS X if I could get all the push and sync functionality with it.

19. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

www.logmein.com FTW.

20. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

It isn't phenomenal. It is poorly implemented, doesn't work right a lot of the time, the web interface is incredibly slow - what else do you want to know? You can get the same benefits free using other services. For free push email, calendar and contacts over exchange go to mail2web.com. For free push calendar and syncing with Google calendar look at nuevasync.com. You can't beat Gmail for good IMAP support (not push, but still works great). If you want something to share documents look at Google Docs or Microsoft's Live Mesh and for pictures Google Picasa. All of these are free and run rings around Mobile Me. I gave Me a try but just decided it's not worth the $99 price tag, so I've canceled my trial.

21. Sincereh2001 macrumors member

I was happy enough to have the push email and calendar. Now I find out there's something new that I have to investigate :D

Where is that?

22. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

MobileMe is the AOL of ISPs. It's more expensive, easier and prettier. But you can get the same thing for cheaper (and in this case, almost everything for free), takes slightly more effort, and isn't as aesthetically consistent... or consistent amongst websites and programs you'd be using, etc.

I'm a MobileMe user, to have the ease of use as a "fuhgetaboutit" feature and to just use my native Apple applications is worth the money for me. But don't buy it thinking it is anything innovative. There isn't anything new to it. Very little is new in comparison to Apple's previous .Mac service and everything else has been done before elsewhere.

23. FaustArp macrumors regular

FaustArp

Basically I have been trying to trial like everyone suggested to me because I was asking the same question.

Answer - It's crap for how much you pay.

Unless your pumped for online storage which you can get for cheaper using stuff like blue host. It's a complete piece of crap:p

24. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

Do your own damn research!!

Damn kids, get off my lawn!! :p