Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I find my series 3 very handy, and the first Apple Watch that I would say is a real asset to me. The series 0 was so slow that most Apps were unusable. The series 2 was decent, but a tad sluggish. The series 3 is very snappy and responsive, has a great battery life and the ability to make calls and play music is awesome for outdoor running and activities where you don’t want to bring your phone. The series 3 is what I wanted the watch to be when it first came out.

If you get the watch, do yourself a favor and grab the AirPods.

Great post. I agree with everything you said. The first generation Apple Watch was really a starter watch with basically showing its capabilities and functionality, Series one /Series 2 was a fairly large build with the GPS, brighter display and 50 M water resistance, and Series 3 is all about the speed and LTE. And the AirPods are an excellent accessory to the Apple Watch, especially for fitness and freedom of the iPhone.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I use LTE version because I seem to be allergic to composite back. Double storage and LTE are both nice additions to its value.

I want a decent sleep tracker and means to motivate me to move more. The watch does both nicely, even though my sleep quality does not improve at all.

When I go out for a meal during lunch break, I can leave my phone behind and carry only the watch. I can call my mom, text with others, check the weather or listen to music. I can’t say I can’t live without the watch but I don’t regret my decision to buy this Apple Watch at all. My only wish is I could’ve chosen silver or space grey version as gold one is very tricky to pair with different colors of watch band.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I have a SSSB LTE in the UK and am coming to the end of my 6 month free trial for LTE.

In the UK it is only £5/month including all taxes and although I have only used it occasionally, I will definitely be keeping the data. £5/month is less than two coffees. I work form home so am always on WiFi and/or near my phone, but it is so nice to go and walk the dogs to go to the shops and still be connected - well worth the £5 IMO.

However everyone's usage and circumstances are different so whilst I love LTE others may see it as a waste of time and money.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I only see a small range of colors in their website for woven nylon (water resistant). None of those colors are looking nice with a gold finish. I want to see some sort of gold or rose gold color to match my watch finish.

Ah, wires crossed. I can’t vouch for the colours of the straps themselves, but I think they’re better than most as you can get the metal parts of any strap to match the colour of the watch.

Reactions: lyricthejoe

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I only see a small range of colors in their website for woven nylon (water resistant). None of those colors are looking nice with a gold finish. I want to see some sort of gold or rose gold color to match my watch finish.

The nylon bands I think are underrated, they are extremely durable and light weight, but they at least allow your wrist to breathe, where the Sport bands lack in that area.

Reactions: johngordon

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
The nylon bands I think are underrated, they are extremely durable and light weight, but they at least allow your wrist to breathe, where the Sport bands lack in that area.

Yup - I have a black sport loop and love it. Not solid black, so has has a nice look. Extremely comfortable and durable.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
This might just be me as a long time Watch wearer before Apple watches.

What I didn’t like about the nylon bands is pure personal preferences. Bands that are the same size all around and thinner with no veering out as it connects to the watch never looked good to me on my wrist. I see pictures of be nylon bands on people and it looks good but when I tried them on it doesn’t look right - it seems to make the watch looks bigger and not a good match to the 42mm Watch. Sports bands are wider and leather bands taper/veer out at the lug connector to form a more fluid look.

I’m sure I am the minority on this because the pictures of watches with nylon bands look very nice and I agree with the lightweight and breathable.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This might just be me as a long time Watch wearer before Apple watches.

What I didn’t like about the nylon bands is pure personal preferences. Bands that are the same size all around and thinner with no veering out as it connects to the watch never looked good to me on my wrist. I see pictures of be nylon bands on people and it looks good but when I tried them on it doesn’t look right - it seems to make the watch looks bigger and not a good match to the 42mm Watch. Sports bands are wider and leather bands taper/veer out at the lug connector to form a more fluid look.

I’m sure I am the minority on this because the pictures of watches with nylon bands look very nice and I agree with the lightweight and breathable.
I cannot agree more on this one.
I would think the same. At least for this company, they are not really promoting wolven nylon. Apple’s sports loop works well for me somehow. But it has the tendency to go tighter as time goes on. I think that’s because it is somehow shrinking when getting wet.
Too bad that Apple’s Own watch band does not have a nice color to match my gold finish.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod

I agree. I have sport bands, a knockoff Milanese-stye metal mesh band, but by far the most comfortable are my Sport Loops. They're attractive, stay comfortably snug, they breathe, they don't pick up the flatware in restaurants... (if I put my hands on the table with the Milanese loop on my wrist, the magnet tends to pick up a fork.) And they don't scratch my MacBook Pro, which has scars on the left wrist rest now.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I really like the sport loop straps but my absolute favourites are the woven nylon, I think. I don’t like the current versions much though so I’m really pleased I have both the pearl and black versions of the first version (wish I also had a blue one).

In terms of LTE, I’ll also be keeping the service once the six month trial is up. I’ll hardly ever use it but knowing I don’t have to go back for my phone if I forget to put it in my pocket in the morning.

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I did calls through a bluetooth headset.

Any of you find yourself doing this instead of using your phone to make calls? You know, for the times you want to make a phone call from your watch when there are other people around but not on "speakerphone". I don't have an Apple Watch but the idea of not needing my iPhone with me all the time really intrigues me. I hate having to carry my phone around with me all the time. I've always wondered if using an Apple Watch plus carrying around a small bluetooth headset instead could be a viable alternative to using an iPhone. Now, I'm not saying that combination can completely replace an iPhone 100% of the time but, for me, it might mean being able to leave my iPhone at home a lot more, especially considering that I'm often times near a computer or iPad when I need a large screen.

Anyway, great thread.

Last edited:

Bojan

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago
My iPhone sim card got ported to a hackers phone, in doing so, rendered my iPhone useless. After that I called t-mobile from my watch and reversed the sim port, saving my bank accounts in the process.

Reactions: lyricthejoe

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My iPhone sim card got ported to a hackers phone, in doing so, rendered my iPhone useless. After that I called t-mobile from my watch and reversed the sim port, saving my bank accounts in the process.

That’s an unfortunate situation to be in. But at least your Apple Watch came into play where it assisted you when you least expected it. Someone else mentioned that they locked their iPhone in their car with their keys and they called their insurance company from the Apple Watch because of LTE. So it certainly has its benefits.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
What does this mean??

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I only see the LTE version for people who may have to leave their behind say for work.
(Some one doing a physical job: cop, fireman, truck driver, freezer grocery store worker, maybe an attorney or anyone who leaves their phone behind but may still want to be able to take a call if need be.
[doublepost=1522456297][/doublepost]For me I use to carry my phone in a huge otter box case and leave it on a desk. When I moved around it made sure I did not miss any important calls/text or breaking news alert which I liked. Plus I never had to snap the phone out of the case.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
I thought it was neat my friend requested a Uber with his LTE watch. He purposely left the phone at home to charge and to allow himself to be more social at events without being distracted by a phone.

Reactions: Mishabella

Mishabella

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
Cali
Ok, I’ll share my LTE story. It’s completely embarrassing but heck there’s no judgment here! Right guys?! ♥️
I bought the LTE version because that’s all the ceramic comes in (la dee da, I’m fancy). Since I paid a ton for my watch, a gift to myself for accomplishing a huge life goal, I figured I didn’t need the LTE and avoid wasting the $10 a month. A day goes buy and I see the three month promotion from AT&T so I go for it, hey I can quick at anytime, just like my Apple addiction, right? Well the second day I had LTE I was walking my beastly dogs, a pitty and a cane corso (the best dogs ever, IMHO) and as I was discarding their waste, I got trapped in our very small, very dark, and very smelly trash room. Like locked in no way out screaming for help. Since I never take my phone with me to walk my beasts because I drop everything, I freaked out. Total panic mode but then I realized I could call my husband on my watch and get help out of that horrid place. I called him from my watch, (my personal Dick Tracy moment, besides the crying) and he laughed his ass off at my debacle but eventually let me out. With tears in his eyes from laughing so hard.

There’s my story. I completely endorse the LTE. Total lifesaver. Well, kinda. I’m sure someone would have come save me eventually... right guys?! Yeah probably not. Lol!!

I hope this helped you decide or at least made you giggle a bit.

Cheers!
[doublepost=1523522709][/doublepost]
Nah, it's cool. I've been there. It's said there are no stupid questions, but let's be honest, there are an awful lot of inquisitive idiots. Between them and the trolls (Apple ruined my life! The MacBook fails to make waffles! Tim Cook should be fired!), it's easy to get in a foul mood. No worries. I used to run a FidoNet BBS back in the days before the World Wide Web. We had two rules: Thou shalt not be easily offended and Thou shalt not be needlessly offensive.

The MacBook doesn’t make waffles?!?! Shocked, I’m just shocked. There goes all my business Apple, you lazy butts.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Ok, I’ll share my LTE story. It’s completely embarrassing but heck there’s no judgment here! Right guys?! ♥️
I bought the LTE version because that’s all the ceramic comes in (la dee da, I’m fancy). Since I paid a ton for my watch, a gift to myself for accomplishing a huge life goal, I figured I didn’t need the LTE and avoid wasting the $10 a month. A day goes buy and I see the three month promotion from AT&T so I go for it, hey I can quick at anytime, just like my Apple addiction, right? Well the second day I had LTE I was walking my beastly dogs, a pitty and a cane corso (the best dogs ever, IMHO) and as I was discarding their waste, I got trapped in our very small, very dark, and very smelly trash room. Like locked in no way out screaming for help. Since I never take my phone with me to walk my beasts because I drop everything, I freaked out. Total panic mode but then I realized I could call my husband on my watch and get help out of that horrid place. I called him from my watch, (my personal Dick Tracy moment, besides the crying) and he laughed his ass off at my debacle but eventually let me out. With tears in his eyes from laughing so hard.

There’s my story. I completely endorse the LTE. Total lifesaver. Well, kinda. I’m sure someone would have come save me eventually... right guys?! Yeah probably not. Lol!!

I hope this helped you decide or at least made you giggle a bit.

Cheers!
[doublepost=1523522709][/doublepost]

The MacBook doesn’t make waffles?!?! Shocked, I’m just shocked. There goes all my business Apple, you lazy butts.

Cool story guess the LTE monthly was worth it and helped you out of a sticky situation.

Reactions: Mishabella

mrjohnnyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
I haven't read the whole thread, but I'll share my experience with my LTE Series 3 and my iPhone 7 Plus. I pretty much always had my iPhone on me. Keys, Wallet, Phone, 3 things I needed to leave the house in the morning. Wife and I have a shared calendar, shared notes for groceries, and other things. My iPhone was my lifeline. We also used FB Messaging more to communicate than anything else.

But when I got the Apple Watch Series 3 and my AirPods, the T-Mobile store rep told me to try it out, leaving my phone at home when I could. It sounded so foreign to me. But I tried it. It took some doing, but unless I'm going to be gone for several hours, I usually don't take my phone anymore. I can take calls, respond to FB messages and texts, check my calendar, all of that, along with listening to my music. Some days I don't even take my phone to work. It's weird. It's like when I got my first iPad, I stopped using my computer to the point that I sold it.

Obviously, YMMV, but the LTE watch has been a godsend to me. I love it.

Saurus504

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
I haven't read the whole thread, but I'll share my experience with my LTE Series 3 and my iPhone 7 Plus. I pretty much always had my iPhone on me. Keys, Wallet, Phone, 3 things I needed to leave the house in the morning. Wife and I have a shared calendar, shared notes for groceries, and other things. My iPhone was my lifeline. We also used FB Messaging more to communicate than anything else.

But when I got the Apple Watch Series 3 and my AirPods, the T-Mobile store rep told me to try it out, leaving my phone at home when I could. It sounded so foreign to me. But I tried it. It took some doing, but unless I'm going to be gone for several hours, I usually don't take my phone anymore. I can take calls, respond to FB messages and texts, check my calendar, all of that, along with listening to my music. Some days I don't even take my phone to work. It's weird. It's like when I got my first iPad, I stopped using my computer to the point that I sold it.

Obviously, YMMV, but the LTE watch has been a godsend to me. I love it.

So I haven't heard or seen anyone touch on the battery life except for briefly. In general it sounds like it's much better than the series 0 I have, which generally needs to be charged every night. However, the big downfall I've heard is that when the watch using LTE is solo, the battery drains pretty quickly. Anyone have any experience with that? I'm imagining mostly using the watch paired with AirPods on a run, or going around running errands, etc.

berniefl36

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
What I’ve noticed is that the battery does go down pretty quick when only using LTE,,,it’s seems like every time I look at the battery it has dropped one or two percent,,even if you are not using the watch, weird but I don’t think it’s the Watch because it’s fine with WiFi and Bluetooth, it’s kind of a shame because you want to use it but you are scared that you will be out of juice to fast

mrjohnnyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
So I haven't heard or seen anyone touch on the battery life except for briefly. In general it sounds like it's much better than the series 0 I have, which generally needs to be charged every night. However, the big downfall I've heard is that when the watch using LTE is solo, the battery drains pretty quickly. Anyone have any experience with that? I'm imagining mostly using the watch paired with AirPods on a run, or going around running errands, etc.

Granted, I'm not on my watch all the time. I only use it when I get notifications. I generally get 2 days of use out of it before I have to charge it. I've only had a few times where I've had to charge it at the end of a single day's of use, and it's where I left my phone at home, used it for multiple long-ish calls, along with lots of messaging/music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.