Sell me on MobileMe

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Garemz, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Garemz macrumors regular

What are the benefits of having a paid email?

Even if you do not own an Iphone

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

None really, apart from ads and 'cloud' syncing. Really if your asking to "sell me", you have answered the question yourself and thats a no.

MobileMe is for more than email, if you use the other features its worth it :)

3. stomer macrumors 6502a

MobileMe is worth it if you want to sync multiple devices and have your data available on the web (or cloud).

If you only have one device and either don't need your data on the web, or you've found another solution, then MobileMe is problably a waste of money.

4. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

MobileMe is pratical and very well done, like always from Apple.

It is useless if you have one device. Also if you already have a web host and email, you can go for Open Source alternative. I cannot remember the name but it is.

It is great for any person on the move. If you mostly stay at home, then pointless. You can pay a lot less for this kind of service and have all the benefits of the server and database.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

If my apartment burns down, all my pictures that I have are safely stored on my iDisk. As well as all my documents. I wouldn't have to go and reconstruct my life :)

6. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

That right there sold me.
    I couldn't imagine losing all of my pictures and videos...

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

This is also the reason i got it, that plus e-mail.

8. wako macrumors 65816

Quite honestly I dont think .Mac or MobileMe is a good backing up solution. Most people having hundreds of pictures, it wont even back up most people's library of photos...

9. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I have thousands, and with the amount of storage they give you, it will be plenty.
    Pictures don't take up much room storage wise.
    Videos do though.

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I have hundreds of RAW Photo's and growing steadily 20GB is plenty

11. MikeJett86 macrumors newbie

Allow me to share with you a little story .... back in October my apartment was broken into .... they took my Macbook Pro, some DVDs and some cash I had sitting in my drawer.... I was heart broken and distraught over the idea that my computer with all of the pictures from my previous summer abroad was gone .... so after the insurance man paid up and I got my new macbook pro I took it home and set it up ... but it didn't feel right ... it felt like an imitation of the laptop I had come to love and know so well .... so during the set up I typed in my .mac (now mobileme) information and let it do its thing .... a few moments later I came back and looked at the screen and quite literally had to do a double take .... everything was there .... down to the desktop picture .... all of my icons, my saved passwords, my settings ... everything ... it was like I was using my old laptop again .... And that is why I will forever be a mobile me subscriber as long as I'm a Mac guy .... that security and peace of mind is everything to me ... not to mention the web space for a blog through iweb, photo galleries, remote access, etc .... I cannot count the number of times I've been at school and needed to get an illustrator file from my laptop to the lab computers without a flashdrive in sight ... and .mac saved me .... or rather iDisk ... but still ... I highly recommend MobileMe .... but that is just my two cents ....

12. beatledud macrumors 6502

Clarification

I too am intrigued by this service. I plan on buying an iPhone 3G and start working for a company that uses PCs and Outlook. While at work, I'll have my Macbook Pro on during the day. I have been searching Apple's web pages and have yet to find answers to the following:

1. When I delete an email on one of the devices, does it delete the email from the other devices as well?

2. What kinds of email can it support? Can it only do its own @me.com, or is there gmail, imap, pop, or hotmail support too?

3. Is syncing my iPhone's contact/email/ical through iTunes not needed anymore?

4. Will MobileMe upload all of your current emails on my Macbook Pro to its server when I first set it up?

13. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

all that can be done via MOZY for 50.00 a Year.. And you get more storage.

Mobile ME will be worth it if you want a easy way to share family pictures on the next from ILife.. the email means nothing really

14. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Not really since Mozy does not provide a true Web interface. you have to go thru a useless long process to be ble to get a backed up file...Instead the only true alternative to the iDisk is Dropbox.
    The email means everything since you can forward any other email to your @mac/@me.com it will be pushed...

15. stomer macrumors 6502a

MobileMe/.Mac on its own isn't sufficient as a backup solution. It's great for making backups of your settings, email and other stuff.

You could backup your photos/music/video to iDisk but unless you have a very small media collection, you're going to quickly run out of space and it's going to take ages.

Apropos Mozy, it doesn't provide a way to access your data except by using their own software. That doesn't fill me with confidence. My own solution is to use a combination of ZFS and S3.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like it because it keeps my information synced between my iMac and my MBP.

17. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

18. obxbound macrumors newbie

Here's the thing. When I was working in an environment that had Microsoft Exchange I found it very useful. I would easily be gone from my work desktop all day and sometimes days at a time. To be able to access my desktop and all of the info from my personal computer AND be able to sync my phone/pda, I found the Microsoft Exchange invaluable.

That is truly the only time I found it invaluable. Since Mobile Me, is the ME (like that apple) for the rest of us, I see it as useful, but not a necessity and definitely NOT worth $100 or $149 for me and my and my husband. We always sync our iphones when we get home and there is never a need to have it IMMEDIATELY synced. As for backup, we back up regularly so again, Mobile Me not needed.

I am with the pp who said there is not a market.

19. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Do mean it was more valuable when it was sold at the same price without the push technology??? What does it mean?

20. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I have to say, as a .Mac customer (which I got primarily for iWeb but have not really used to its full advantage) I have always thought that .Mac was overpriced and in need of an update.

MobileMe sounds like everything .Mac should have been and more. And I've only just realised the 10GB allowance is moving up to 20! For new users, it could be used for backup and for accessing stuff anywhere (such as transferring big files to friends or sharing photos), but it would really come into its own if you have an iPhone as well as a Mac (or PC).

21. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

That is actually a good point that I have not thought about :)

I still think that 20GB of storage space is nothing when I can have 100GB at mediatemple. I mean, you want to backup photos, videos, have your emails, eventually your iWeb site, etc... 20GB goes quick.

I do not think the price is really hight but they could still be more generous.

22. daleremote macrumors member

Yeah, I've got 40 GB of photos, 65 GB of music.

On the other hand...I could definitely use the 20 GB to transfer files (video production) to coworkers.

Can you still host web sites on MobileMe? If so, Apple has buried that info.

23. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

1. Yes, that's how IMAP works. Use folders to save mail.

2. I'd bet only me or mac.com, but you can forward other addresses to that one.

3. I bet not necessary, but faster.

4. Sure, if you transfer them to your MobileMe inbox, just like any other IMAP account would.

24. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Yes. It only works with iWeb, so it's under "MobileMe on a Mac."
    (I think the storage is also only with iDisk, so Mac only to set up, but accessible from a PC)

I think there's definitely a market for this. A lot of people talk about paying $70 - $1,000's per year just for the push email/ contacts/ calendar/email, and this has a lot more. Just that aspect has a lot of people excited about it.
    For everything else, yes, I could use Google Mail for free, Google calendar/contacts for free, Flickr for free, web hosting cheap, storage free or cheap, a syncing program free or cheap. I don't really like ANY of those solutions nearly as well as I like the dotmac solution for each (well, haven't tried other storage solutions, and iDisk is SLOW, maybe they're faster. I think Yahoo's web-based mail is much better than Google's OR dotmac's, but that's being revamped with MobileMe, and since Yahoo came out with their new (previous) beta that wasn't compatible with Safari, and still has some issues, I don't trust the compatibility). So I could have a bunch of free/cheap accounts for products that work (mostly), but not that well (for me), or have ONE that works much better for me, and know it will always be compatible with my mac, and pay $99. Until now, it's been "worth" it to me, but still pricey. But with the push technology they're adding, plus storage, plus improvements to the webmail, now I think it's a really good value (and I HOPE iDisk speeds up, too)

25. Eluzion macrumors 6502

For those of you that have been using .Mac, how is the email service when it comes to spam? One reason I absolutely love Gmail is its spam filter.