Sell Mini + PC + get iMac? Or Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DBAlex, Apr 12, 2007.

1. DBAlex macrumors regular

DBAlex

Hi,

So, In november 2005 I got a Mac mini G4 1.5ghz, its an excellent machine and ive really enjoyed using it, but recently ive noticed a lot of beachballing and general slowness so i'm thinking of upgrading... Now I have a PC too which is (AMD 64 3000, 768mb ram, 9600se 128mb) And Im thinking of selling the mini and my PC (for whatever I can get for it...) and buying either a low end iMac or a 20" Imac...

Or, Should I wait, and upgrade the mini to 1gb and re-install OSX?

Oh and I use the mini for graphics work, Photoshop (CS 1 runs fine on the mini) and office, web browsing, itunes etc.

What should I do?

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

upgrade your ram, your pc is worth about $50-$100 at the moment. The mini with 1.5GHz G4 is plenty fast with photoshop without requireing you to buy photoshop cs3 for use with a intel mac.

3. DBAlex thread starter macrumors regular

DBAlex

Eeek, $50-100... thats like £25-50... OK! :eek:

I think I forgot how much PC's go down in value...!

I'll probably upgrade the mini... but to anyone... Will I notice a massive speed bump from going from a PPC to an Intel machine? Would it be worth it?

I was also thinking about a G5 iMac or Power Mac... Good idea?

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

if pounds you will get 50 to 75 pounds for that a low spec of pc, i upgraded my mac mini 1.66 core duo to 1.25 GB of ram and it is a noticable speed increase, and for the amount of money 1GB of ram costs about 35 to 45 pound for the G4 mini its a easyer buy than a new computer.

5. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

I say upgrade. You'd hate to buy the RAM and then second guess your decision. Just move forward, sell the old systems, and get a new iMac. Heck ... save some money and buy a Certified Refurbished Mac from the online Apple Store.

6. GlynJones macrumors 6502

I did something similar but I sold a core duo Mac Mini and my Powermac G5 dual 2.0 which raised enough money to but a spec'd up iMac 24" :D

7. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Yeah the only thing really attractive about your pc is the 768mb of ram. Unfortunately the 9600se is a slow version of a very old card. And your pc probably has an older socket processor. I'm sorry, but the pc market moves fast.

8. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

I did the same last year mate. Sold my G4 Mini and PC (crappy spec) to get a CD iMac. I thought I would only get £50 for my PC but thanks to eBay someone ended up paying £150!! Couldn't believe it, and to top it off my Mini sold for £20 more than I paid for it brand new 12 months earlier!!! :)

9. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

ummmm....I sold a computer a few months ago with specs a little better then this for $700 Canadian. Maybe I was just in a good market, but $50-$100 is too low. With a display you could probably get $400-$500.