Sell my 2.66?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dwnhillskater, Mar 3, 2008.

1. dwnhillskater macrumors newbie

I do mostly photoshop and graphic design. Should I upgraded my Mac Pro to the new 8 core 2.88, add more ram (7gb now), or will I not notice a difference with either. Please advise.

2. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

Well if you're using apps like photoshop and lightroom, I don't really think you'll see that much of an improvement with the new generation of macpros - any changes you will see might be in second or half-second increments.

Where the new macpros really shine is in reducing render and export loads. If you use apps like Shake, FCS2, maya and blender where you spend long periods of time waiting for things to bake and render, then you will definitely benefit from a new macpro. Otherwise, you won't.

While the new macpros do have the added benefits of faster memory and nicer graphics cards (although the x1900xt still beats the 8800 and x2600 in pro apps like Motion), I think that any improvements from a previous gen macpro kitted out with an x1900 won't be noticeable to the point where you would want a new one.

Just my two cents.

3. dwnhillskater thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!