Sell my 2009 17" MBP for an ipad 2?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by galstaph, Jul 24, 2011.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

So here's the skinny,

Since I graduated from my masters degree program (Master of Architecture) at the end of April I've turned on my 17" mbp two maybe three times. I honestly haven't turned it on since the first week of june :eek:. this is because I have a mac pro and obviously use it instead as I am not traveling to school and working there.

So this brings me to the thought that hey, I keep using my ipod touch 4G to do surfing and reading at home, maybe I should sell my mbp and get an ipad and cash.

I am in the architecture biz and could see an ipad as a nice platform to take blueprints to construction sites or show video walkthroughs/pictures to clients in a handheld way, and possibly as a mobile sketchbook; so I can almost justify it and I think i could sell my mbp (early 2009, 2.66ghz, 8gb ram 500gb hd for now, [could up it to the 750 I have laying around], one year applecare left, one minor cosmetic dent and a case) to get a 64mb ipad 2 pretty easy.

So does it make sense? or does popular opinion say keep the mbp and just boot it up from time to time to play pong or something?

2. Dustbunny macrumors newbie

JMHO, but I would keep the MBP 17. In the long run, you may wind up using it more than you think, especially if you wind up spending lots of time on site/in the field.

The iPad is a wonderful piece of technology - there is no denying that. If I were in your shoes, I would keep an eye on Craigslist and/or eBay, and see if I could pick one up for (relatively) inexpensively.

Congrats on graduation! :)

3. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

I agree with not getting the iPad. Yes you can perform all those tasks on it, but if you ever need a computer for a meeting or a consultation and you need to do multiple things at once, it's going to be easier to keep the laptop.

However if you're looking for a portable device to use, maybe you should look into selling the 17" for an 11"-13" MacBook Air. It's ultra light and portable, and you could probably sell your MBP to afford one. That way you have a computer to do whatever you need, but you're not lugging around a much larger and heavier laptop.

Just my two cents. Let us know what you decide, and yes congratulations :D

4. macphipsi macrumors newbie

Why not an MBA?

Since you have a Mac Pro, why not get an 11 inch MBA to bring portability to your set up? I think you will find that there are far more possibilities with the MBA than the iPad and not to mention, if you start to travel more, you can use the MBA to display drawings and what not to a client and make minor tweaks on the road. You may be able to display your drawings to clients with a iPad, but you won't be able to make minor changes.