Sell my current MBP for an iPad 2?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by abz1981, Sep 16, 2011.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hi all
    I currently have a Mid 2010 13inch MBP, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 250 GB HD, running OS Lion.

I have had my MBP since it came. I currently have 232GB free space remaining on my MBP, also have an external 250GB HD.

Now my usage is, Pages, Numbers, iTunes, Safari, ,, BBC Iplayer, online streaming.

But then i am thinking i sometimes do scan some documents, and i guess i won't be able to do that with an iPad 2. What if i want to download an attachment from a file I have been sent via email, or from a website, if its a pdf document etc? will i have something like 'preview' on my iPad to view or edit it?

Will I still be able to some how put images on my iPad and edit images? Such as basic images and upload them on to Facebook or something? I also have an iPhone 4 then I am thinking, will I be more relying on my iPad instead of iPhone when it comes to surfing etc?

Also how would I be able to put current pages documents files etc from my mbp on to my iPad. I am looking at selling the MBP and then getting an iPad. Would I be able to save them on to some sort of system, or is that where the new iCloud will come in to place? I mean from my usage etc, has anyone ever actually made that move from having a MBP or notebook and gone just got an iPad. I mean with IOS 5 I won't need a MBP to activate it or anything anymore. I will be looking at getting a wifi only iPad, as my iPhone 4 I have unlimited personal hotspot tethering.

Any help of suggestions would be great.

thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I don't recommend making an iPad your "only computer". Yes there are those who have gotten it to work but there are some drawbacks.

First of all there is no credible filesystem. If you have an 80 meg document in pages and you want to view it in goodreader, bang you get another copy. Want to look at it in docs2go? Bang now you have a 3rd copy.

Secondly the iPad is not a suitable environment for "lots of" typing. By lots of typing, I mean anything longer than this post. Sure you can pair a BT keyboard and now you have a netbook without a filesystem and you must reach over and touch the screen as iPad doesn't know what to do with a mouse.

Thirdly there is no credible way to back up an iPad without a computer (yet). iCloud is coming but it's not here yet.

Flash is dying but it's not dead yet. Adobe convinced a lot of knuckleheads to put up flash versions of html forms and their sites just don't work without flash. An iPad "only computer" means there will be a handful web sites you simply can't use.

Here is what I suggest:

Option 1: Purchase an iPad 2 and use it with your MBP. You will never take your MBP with you but you will be glad you have your MBP when you need to do a "lot of" typing.

Option 2: Purchase an iPad 2 and a Mac Mini. Now that the iPad 2 is your road machine, you can sell your MBP and use a Mac Mini as your desktop machine.

Option 3: Do nothing and wait until iCloud is readily available and ask again. Perhaps iOS 5 will bring the equivalent of a less crippled filesystem once iCloud goes live.

3. chrispfeiffer21 macrumors newbie

Hey bud

I think you pose a very good question, I've asked the same question. I think in the future maybe it is possible but for the moment, it is a bit of a problem because I feel that without a file explorer, it wouldn't be able to replace the computer. Speaking as someone who has an iPad 2, it really does pair nicely with my PC. I use my iPad at university for taking notes and browsing casually, and then at home, I do my assignments on my laptop. I am actually typing this to you right now on my iPad.

I hope it helps mate, good luck with the decision :)

4. cperry2 macrumors regular

Just echoing these people.... The ipad is a complementary device for 99% of users (not really, but you see what I mean.).

Consider this: what if you could only use your iphone on the road. If that doesn't work for you, neither would an ipad. An ipad really is an iphone that is designed for sitting down with and using a bit more; say a 2-hour session rather than a few minutes with your phone or 3+ with your laptop (depending on the task).

If you're looking to get an ipad without spending much money, sell the mmp and get a mini. But only if you can live with ios on the road. And keep in mind you still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse. In which case if you don't have those and can benefit from a laptop's mobility, consider just finding the money for an ipad. A good reason for this would be battery life. Now you'll never have to plug in for a day unless you are doing hours of intensive work on the mbp, by relegating media consumption and menial tasks to the ipad.

Any way you cut it, if you have an mbp and an iphone, the ipad is a luxury. A very nice one, but a luxury nonetheless.

I would say go for it if you can live with a mini and truly prefer the ipad experience on the road, or if you simply like the ipad and can afford to pick one up outright. Cheers

5. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

hey
    thanks for the replies. Hmm its decisions decisions right now. I understand what you mean by lot of typing. However When I say I use pages. I may use it once a month or something to type up a letter or something like that. When it comes to websites and flash. I guess you have a point when that is made. However Websites that I tend to visit each day, I would say don't seem to have flash on them as it is. How can I double check that? I know might sound silly that to double check it does not have flash.

I guess it all comes down to iCloud in how well it actually works. I mean I guess that would be the best thing possible to a filesystem? Or I may be wrong? I guess personally, i feel I have a system (MBP) that i am only using 5% if even that for it uses and think iPad 2 would be an ideal solution. I know some people may think I am sold on a decision to get an iPad 2, but I guess the more I look into it, the more it looks like it might be a better choice?

----------

cperry2

thanks for that. I understand what you are saying. However I would only really have my iPad at home. I would take it out with me, if I am going on a long distant journey. At first when the iPad came out, i was thinking its an oversized iPhone but then looking at it now. From my usage don't you think a MBP is too much of a powerful machine for what I actually use it for?

6. trip1ex, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

trip1ex macrumors 68000

PUt a SSD in your MBP.

iPad is a basic computer. But probably not smart having it as your only computer at this point.

But you can always give it a try and go back to a laptop if you have problems.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

In general, you ought to think of an iPad as a complement to rather than a substitute for a computer. There are lots of reasons. Here are some examples from today.

I want to upload a file to a site. It isn't possible (as far as I know).

Or, I want to write comments and track changes in a Word file that I am working on with someone else. It can't be done (as far as I know).

Or, I want to generate a document with footnotes. It can't be done (as far as I know).

There are workarounds for each one that sometimes get the job done: 1) link to a URL with the file if the site allows it, 2) convert the file to a PDF in Pages and edit it using GoodReader (won't track changes), and 3) import a document with footnotes into Pages or use multi-markdown in simple text programs. Being prepared with lots of apps that have overlapping functions is a good idea. But, it is nowhere near as convenient as a computer.

I am a strong advocate of doing work on the iPad, and use it for the vast majority of my stuff. There are lots of things to love about it (weight, battery life, cost, e-reader capability, etc.). However, there are several tasks that I save for when I get back home to my computer. If you have access to a public computer (at university, for example) then you can probably do everything you need with the iPad, but otherwise, I recommend you keep a computer around just in case.

8. cperry2 macrumors regular

I do, but as stated many times there are many, many situations where you just can't do something with the ipad and it could be fairly frustrating.

Maybe consider selling and upgrading to a 2011 13" macbook air. It will be better at things you use it for, and according to your description data storage capacity certainly won't be an issue. I recommended an air to my girlfriend because she has a similar usage profile and she loves it. Better screen res than the pro, way faster bootup and app initialization, etc.

9. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

think i will leave the iPad alone.

Hey
    thanks for everyones replies and input into this thread. After much reading. I guess you guys are right that it would be best not to have the iPad as a computer replacement. I think I might consider downgrading my MBP for my needs to a Macbook Air maybe.

Thanks again everyone :)

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

sounds like a good idea. the mbas are really impressive this year.

but, i guess i don't understand your original post. instead of selling the mbp (a computer that is arguably going to be able to meet your needs for many years to come), why not just buy an ipad2?

11. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Its because I won't be able to afford the iPad, as the selling of my MBP would have paid towards it. However I know its a faster and superior machine the MBP than the MBA, but i don't see my usage changing you see lol. So therefore with the sale of my MBP and the purchase of my MBA I will still have some money left over, to spend on what else i feel is needed lol :)

12. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I sold my iPad and MBA 13" and went with an MBA 11" as it has all I need. Screen is large enough, yet I have a full sized keyboard. Battery life is only 5-7 hours, but I get an full osx back for it and I get USB ports. Scanning sldocumets is important for me and with an iPad that is impossible.
    I must admit that I have a thunderbolt display on order for the office, but at home this is more than enough for me.

Just my 0.02

13. winterlocked, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

winterlocked macrumors member

I also sold my MacBook pro for an ipad 2, and would recommend supplementing this setup with a Mac mini acting as a server.

After a few months of trying the iPad as my main machine, with file storage on a hard disk connected to my airport extreme, I found it was still kind of a pain to manage files, and I missed the ability to rip CDs and DVDs into iTunes using handbrake. I picked up a cheap refurbished mini to use as a headless server and control it with a vnc app on my iPad.

The big advantages were being able to rip DVDs and CDs into iTunes via the superdrive on the mini, and i prefer this to using a laptop because i just leave the mac mini on all the time to stream to the appletv.

Another big advantage will be when icloud comes out and automatically backs up my photos and music purchases to the mini for me.

Good luck either way.