Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Is this a good idea or should I wait until Mac OSX is Intel based? :rolleyes:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Of course it isn't a good idea if you want to run Mac OS X. If you like XP, go ahead.

Or just sell one....why do you need two iMacs?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Willy S said:
Why??? I just switched from Windows/Linux to Mac and will NEVER go back! I was tired of constantly fighting with and maintaining my pc (virii, spyware/malware, software conflicts, etc. etc. etc.). Since getting my mini I have been able to actually USE my computer instead of FIGHTING my computer. Why on earth would anybody want to go backwards, regardless of how many you can have? Please explain.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
i thought to myself, well, um NO. but then i was thinking about you post. are you selling those mac's to get a PC's to run OSX on? if so then it is an even WORSE idea.

hopefully this is not what you were thinking.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Hmm. Perhaps you could keep both iMacs and buy a PC too!

...At least I think this is what the MacRumors ads are suggesting...

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 123

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Should I sell my Powerbook and buy two dell desktops? Should I sell my Porsche Boxster and buy two Ford Festivas? Should I sell my Trump Tower condo and buy two crackhouses in East St. Louis?

I'm thinking... no.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
tristan said:
Should I sell my Powerbook and buy two dell desktops? Should I sell my Porsche Boxster and buy two Ford Festivas? Should I sell my Trump Tower condo and buy two crackhouses in East St. Louis?

I'm thinking... no.
Um... yeah... all Macs are far superior to PCs, of course. :rolleyes:

Perhaps he's getting rid of two G3 iMacs and plans to build some Athlond X2 sytems. I'd take a pimped-out X2 system over 10 iMac G3's. When it comes to hardware, form factor, OS, software... it's all a matter of preference.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
The original post doesn't really explain why you would want to do this or not do this. I suppose it depends on what you want to do.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
Okay, sure maybe he has lab full of 1st generation iMacs with big cracks in the screens and monkey poop all over them and he has the option to trade them for two 8-way Opterons running a copy of Linux tweaked by Linus himself during his last three-day crystal meth binge. I guess I never saw that as a potential possibility.

Yeah, this guy hasn't posted again so we don't know exactly what his situation is or what his goals are. But in general principle, you can only use one computer a time, so you probably want one good one rather than two equally crappy ones.

feakbeak said:
Um... yeah... all Macs are far superior to PCs, of course. :rolleyes:

Perhaps he's getting rid of two G3 iMacs and plans to build some Athlond X2 sytems. I'd take a pimped-out X2 system over 10 iMac G3's. When it comes to hardware, form factor, OS, software... it's all a matter of preference.

he has two iMac G5s, both rev a, one 1.8ghz, with a superdrive, one 1.6ghz, with a combo drive, read the singnature...

Kapeesh

Jesus

Edit: why not sell both your iMac G5s[on ebay] and buy a Top Of The Range PowerMac G5 system with an Apple Display......

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Jesus said:
read the singnature...
Some of us have our options to not display signatures, so that was just by chance.

tristanp, your provided examples (Trump Tower Condo for crack houses) is far more extreme than G3 iMacs and an X2 system. Also, your second example of an eight way Opteron is also rather extreme. A powerful X2 system can be built for less than $2000.

As man here have said, we don't know what the OP needs are or the details of the situation. Still, I stick to my assertion that is all depends on the specifics, your preferences and intended use. Blanket statements that Macs are generically better than PCs are pointless and unfounded.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
You're completely missing 80% of point of my post, which was that it's silly to buy two identical computers, cars, or houses. Unless you run a test lab or you have an afternoon appointment with Clones R' Us.

But sure, you caught the other 20% of my post which is that Macs are better than PCs. Well, excuse me for stating the obvious! And you know what else? The sky is blue! Rain is wet! Gravity sucks! Sorry if all that offends you. :)

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Mmm... flame bait :)

To the OP what do you actually want to do with the computer? Personally I think you should of actually included information about what you wanted to do, why you are considering selling your Macs, etc. Without doing this all you've done is create a nice troll. ;)

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Sell the iMac you use least and build your own PC with components from your favourite online store.

I could never go back to using Windows willingly however. I never turn on the (still nicely specced 2GHz Athlon XP) 30 month old PC upstairs any longer, even though it is connected to a nice 19" TFT monitor. I just use this dinky 12" iBook which I've set up on a nice desk downstairs away from the clutter.

Getting things done on the computer beats getting annoyed with the frustrations and limitations of Windows XP.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
tristan said:
And you know what else? The sky is blue! Rain is wet! Gravity sucks! Sorry if all that offends you. :)
I AM

master_of_obvious.jpg

Sorry for missing the other part of your post. I wasn't thinking about that. We don't know if they'd be identical PCs or if one would be for gaming and another as an email station type machine. Peronally, I couldn't have too many machines, even if some were identical so that didn't occur to me. Maybe he has two homes or one computer is for the kids... we need more info, until then who knows. I think the original post may have been flame bait as another poster said. The poster is not a newb though.

Come on, Willy S, tell us what's going on.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
I'm still an apprentice of the obvious. :)

I was basically just being silly at his expense. Yeah, the guy gave us so little information to go on we'll never know what was up or why he wanted to trade a mac for a PC. Maybe he had a good reason, maybe he's an agent of evil, or maybe he's just a poor misguided soul who didn't get enough hugs growing up. We'll just have to speculate. :)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
if you live in the uk i'll trade a socket 939 3000+ pc with an x800XT 512MB ram for an imac g5.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
1PC = spyware
2PC's =10^2 spyware
3PC's =10^3 spyware :D

PCs suck. Linux makes them bearable... Windows is pathetic.
Removing macs and adding PCs is a dumb idea. Don't do it.

7000+Virii for windows this year alone
26 for mac os 1-9
0 for mac os X

I know this isn't a PC bitchfest session, but argh..

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Willy S said:
Yo... You nuts???? I am completely biased when I say this, but there is not one thing that I can think of that I would need a PC for other than to beat with a sledgehammer in order to release some frustrations. You have two sweet machines that most would be jealous to have. :cool:

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Do I want Windows? No! (please! give me a little credit)

Do I want Linux? No!

The reason for my post is that I read that someone had cracked the developers edition of Mac OSX so it can be used for a PC. Also Apple is mad about this and made its lawyers work overtime (wonder why if it wasn´t true)

Therefore one should think you could install a Mac OSX on any cheap PC in the near future..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.