Sell my Mac Pro for MBP or Macbook and iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Salviotti, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Salviotti macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a buying dilemma. I'm wondering if I should sell my mac pro and buy a MBP or an iMac and a macbook.
    I do a fair amount of traveling and definitely need a laptop when I'm away from home. I'm not utilizing the Mac Pro's power and expandability enough and figuring that now would be the best time to sell it before a revision comes out soon.
    I do a bit of Final Cut Pro stuff and some encoding, etc so I'm leaning toward a MBP. On the other hand, the better portability of the Macbook is very inviting.

What are everyone's thoughts on this situation? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I say keep the Mac Pro and bank on the fact that that expandability will help in a few years. I would consider getting a netbook or a last gen macbook because it doesn't sound like you'd need a ton of power when you're on the road.

If you're intent on selling the Mac Pro, however, get a higher tier MBP. Why buy two alright computers when you can get one really great computer? Plus, syncing up data can be annoying. If you're concerned about the lack of a desktop, just get a displayport adapter and use your current monitor along with a keyboard/mouse.

3. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I would keep the Mac Pro and look on ebay and get a Macbook Pro. Down the road you may need to expand your hard drive, RAM and video card. With the iMac you are pretty much stuck as far as expandability. Depending on what you use it for you may be able to get a good deal on a Macbook of ebay

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

If you've decided you shouldn't have bought the MacPro, then get rid of it. In 2004, I bought a G5 (dual 2.5GHz) tower. Why did I buy a tower? Partly, because previous Apple Towers had made sense for me and I was in the habit of doing that. Plus, at the time (before Intel models), the other Apple alternatives were underpowered for my needs. Well, the world changed. For my needs today, a 2.4GHz MacBook is sufficient since it's as fast or faster than my 2004 G5 in doing what I need it for (Photoshop, light video and heavy audio). Expansion is nice, but I can do without it...and the MacBook is significantly more versatile in terms of portability.

5. Norco macrumors regular

I agree with your post. I had a Mac Pro (early 2008) and realized portability was a feature I needed more than having a killer work station. While the Mac Pro was incredibly powerful, I really wasn't utilizing it. As the OP mentioned, a newer revision of Mac Pro hasn't been released yet, so you may be able to get a little more money out of it. If the laptop is going to be more of a desktop replacement, I'd suggest sticking with the MBP line. If thats a little out of your price range, suggest looking at the previous generation, that's what I did. Whatever you end up doing, just get a feel for what prices are (ebay, craigslist, mac refurb store).

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

When the new unibody MBs and MBAs v2 were released in October, I decided I would try a one computer setup with the MB. If the MB worked as a one computer setup, I would consider switching to MBA if turned out to be powerful/fast enough.

I think a one computer/Mac setup is the way to go. In the past I had as many as four computers, but the truth is even two is a pain to deal with. Moving files between computers is a pain. Often I would find I didn't have the current file right program installed and etc.

Now, for the first time in ten years, I have ONE computer. It is so nice/easy. The truth is any of the MB line, are probably powerful enough computers. Plus, any of the new MB, MBA, and MBP computers can drive a 30" display. So they are all instant desktops. I went with the 13.3" because it's more portable. I will eventually switch to the MBA. But if they ever made a 13" MBP, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I just find the 13" MBs and MBAs are much more portable than the 15" and 17" MBPs are too big in airplane seats.

I definitely recommend any of the Mac notebooks with an external display. Best wishes with your decision and new Mac!

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The primary difference between having a portable and a desktop is that you pay a premium for the convenience of portability. A desktop dollar for dollar will give you more power and more expandability AND will have more shelf life than a laptop. If you buy a laptop at X amount of dollars and then spend the same amount of money on a desktop, you will get more power in the desktop. Then if you take both systems into the future, the laptop will run out of power and become obsolete before the desktop will. You can usually throw more money at the desktop to keep it viable, but the laptop is pretty much maxed out soon as you take it out of the box.