sell my macbook and get a pc?? (reason 5)

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by happle, Oct 25, 2010.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

ok well i use reason 5 to produce. i mostly make electronic music. but anyways, i've been thinking. i can get like 900 bucks for my macbook. should i sell my macbook while i can get this much for it and get a 15.5" sony vaoi with i5 2.8ghz "turbo", 4gb of ram (id up it to 6/8), 320gb hd 5400rpm, id up it to a 500gb/7200. i can get the vaoi for 800 bucks brand new.

do you guys think i should do this or do you think my current 2.26ghz unibody macook with 4 gb of ram and a 500gb/7200rpm hd will suffice for a couple more years?

i love mac and i love the way the macbook is built and everything about them, especially the trackpad. but i really want a 15" with more power, but id have to spend like 1800 to get a 15" macbook pro.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I still run Reason 4 on a 1.5GHz G4 with 2GB RAM and it works fine for the stuff I produce on it.
    I think your MacBook is fine for a few more years yet...

3. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah. so you think i should keep it? i was just trying to think if it would be smarter to sell my macbook now while i can get a lot for it. i really wish i had more money so i could get the 15" i5 pro. a 13" is just a bit small for reason.

4. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

also is it possible to get osx to run on such a laptop?

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think you should absolutely go for the Sony. get it all set up, then report back on how you like it and how it's all working out.

then do the same in a year.

i know it sounds like i'm being a jerk, but i'm honestly interested in knowing how a mac fan gets along on a windows box with OS-agnostic music software. i'm considering my own move for a music-only box. it would be principally for PT, Sibelius and Reason.

6. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah well im not going to jump just like that. i think i would definitely do it if i could manage to get osx on the sony hehe :). it sucks because i do love my mac, everything about it. but i will need an upgrade. and i cant see getting another 13". i need the 15" for reason and the better processor. i really would prefer the 15" i5 mbp but i cant afford the 2gs it would cost.

how hard would it to get mac osx up and running on the sony? man that would be great.

7. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Reason is pretty efficient anyway.. So it will run more than well enough on your current Mac. And will do for long while yet.
    If the screen size is a problem, then get yourself another monitor. It doesn't have to be an Apple one, so they are usually cheap.

You are not really going to get any serious recommendation to exchange your Mac for a PC on a Mac forum, least of all when you intend to use them for music production work :rolleyes:

8. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

I think your current machine would suffice, and of course anew machine will always be more "future proof". If you like your Mac, and it is a possibility, I would recommend selling your macbook while you can still get top dollar for it, and purchasing the MBP with the Hi-res screen. the extra resolution works very nicely with Reason, and you can have your rack and sequencer windows side by side without sacrificing any real estate. Works good for me!

[​IMG]

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

The macbook is very much better built. If you need more screen space why not just buy a large LCD monitor. Get a 20 or 24 inch. Of cource it's not to portable and yuo can't use it in an airplane but do you really record ooutdoors where there are noAC plugs.

And if you DO record away from AC plugs you do NOT want a Sony notebook. My wife has one of those and she can't use it without the AC power brick. The reason they are cheap is because good batriies are expensive. Apple's battery is much better.

Buy a 20" LCD monitor and a padded bag if you need to transport it.

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

If you buy a Vaio, you're going to need an external soundcard as well. While I'm not going to pretend the Mac internal soundcards are great (they're really not), you can at least plug in a pair of cans and listen to low-latency, buzz/whine-free audio from Reason, Logic and other music software...

Just something to bear in mind, I wouldn't do it personally as there are a million and one things I can do on OS X which I just can't do on Windows...

11. newuser2310 macrumors regular

my gf has a vaio laptop.

Filled with bloatware and seemingly poor performance for a £800 machine

Makes my old g4 ibook seem snappy. lol

12. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah see i would only buy a vaoi if i could fully run mac osx on it. and i know macs are snappier with less resources, but if i did get the vaoi i was going to get the 2.53 (2.8 turbo), ugrade to 8gb of ram and get the momentus xt drive.

but i actually changed my mind. i cant go without my mac, i love macs and everything about them.

the problem is i want the damn 15" hi-res screen and the 2.53 i5 but i dont have 1800 bucks to drop :(.

im in college and am pretty broke. i also don't have my license for a while because of a dui. im going to need to save up money for a car, insurance, and money to reinstate my license.

but idk hopefully over the summer i can possibly save up some money and get the new 15" mbp. or finance it possibly.

13. newuser2310 macrumors regular

There are plenty of decent pc laptops out there for audio work. However i dont see the point in burning loads of cash when a) your current machine is more than up to the task b) a windows machine might not be what you really want c) its not about your equiptment but how you use it.

I dont use reason personally but it is fully capable of producing professional music/audio.

14. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know reason is very capable. i use reason and recycle and i still have plenty to learn from it.

im just saying i want a 15" screen so i can fit the rack and sequencer all on one screen side by side.

i can get a better spec'd pc for cheaper, but your right its not what i want. i want a top of the line mbp haha. but its just so pricey.

do you think my 2.26ghz, 4gb of ram will at least continue to chug along just fine for a few years w reason?

edit: anyone ever use or know anyone with one of these? trying to get an idea on how they feel, how they run (hot/cool? fast?), how long the batteries last, how the trackpad is compared to a mb? i saw one today from a distance while in class and i actually thought it was a 15" mbp. looking at a few pics of it, it seems like they did try to copy some things from mac.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pa...02&skuId=1287382&st=hp pavillion i5&cp=1&lp=3

15. newuser2310 macrumors regular

I was using an ibook g4 1.25 ghz with logic pro 8 until jan this year. I managed ok.

Not a fan on hp (more bloat) maybe look for asus, dell, lenovo.

although you will always find someone who has a bad word to say about the particular brand your looking at.

maybe ask/search over at gear slutz (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/) if your really that keen on looking at the pc route.

16. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i mean i could always get rid of the bloatware. and iv had terrible luck with dells so i think ill stay away from them. it just seems like besides apple, the other computers i like as far as looks is hp and sony.

and it's not that im so keene on getting a pc...its just that it's an option that will cost much less.

as i said before. i love my mac and would LOVE to get a 15" i5 MBP. i just don't know if i could afford one. i guess ill just start saving some money and in a year or two ill prob have enough for one. i was just asking if anyone has ever tried one of these hps compared to their mac. im just keeping my options open.

17. sullen macrumors newbie

bad idea, been there/done that.

vaio's are pretty machines, and that's about it.
    hugely overrated, and will be running like crap in a year or two.
    mine wasn't cheap and didn't last any longer than a $400 dell or compaq would've.

have had both, and i'm right back here with a MBP, still using reason 4, but i think your current machine will be fine to run reason 5 for a while.

DONT DO IT!

18. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah iv decided against it. i wonder if i could get a refurbished pro and still get applecare on it?

19. ry4n525 macrumors newbie

Sure, the screen resolution might be higher, but the overall screen quality is worlds apart. Macs have better display quality in my opinion. Every time I look at a laptop running Windows 7 it just doesn't seem as crisp and clean as my 2006 Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. Let's also remind ourselves that Windows 7 is a resource hog so that i5 with "turbo" (really love the use of this feature in marketing campaigns) won't be that much of a selling point.

20. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

lol if you post at an apple forum the will bash pc's if you post in a pc forum they will bash windows. most of these kind of threads fail to garner ANY useful information

but for me im impartial and i dont have any preference, whichever works the best will suit me fine

i have a windows gaming desktop and a windows HP laptop, the bloat people whine about are people who dont know how to reformat and reinstall windows 7 with drivers install and a simple antivirus and antispyware to keep you safe.

i also have a imac 20" and a blackbook 2006, both run on snow leopard, updated to the latest.

if your into sound, you need ram and lots of it.
    i say get the sony and use it, im sure there are more software options available for you for sound development, as well as more accessories and midi stuff available.

im into design, so i have cs4 on my windows and cs5 on my mac. both work great. im happy with both. thats my 50 cents

21. Mr Baldman macrumors member

Mr Baldman

based on that statement, i would say stick with your mac and save up for a better one.

22. newuser2310 macrumors regular

I agree on the most part but why should I have to reinstall the OS on my new expensive laptop?

Also Macs have just as many options as windows based machines with audio software and hardware.

More accessories? Like what?

Midi Stuff?

Lol