Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I'm a school student and English essays are becoming more frequent. I have a brain disorder where the right half of my brain isn't as powerful as my left half, and as a result my left half is above average (which includes grammar and English).

I was diagnosed with NLD in 2006, and they recommend that I bring a laptop to school because it helps me cope with my poor handwriting skills and helps me get my ideas on paper. To help this, I bought an Advent Netbook, but I have been struggling to use it because of the keyboard being so cramped. I am also getting hand cramps which are painful.

I have used it for a couple of essays, but I don't like lugging the whole thing around with me because whenever I use it people stare at me, and because I get hand cramps after an hour or so of typing. I can imagine it being easier with an iPad because you just slip it out of a case, plug in the keyboard dock and start typing.

So, what do you all think?

PS: I'm in the 9th grade.

TL;DR:
I have an Advent netbook, but I don't like using it because of the cramped keyboard and overall design. I am considering getting an iPad for my essays instead.

EDIT: I would also use the iPad for home browsing whilst downstairs.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't think the iPad's keyboard is going to be any larger, will it?

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
The wireless Bluetooth keyboard that Apple sells works with the iPad and I believe it's at least a bit larger than a netbook keyboard.

glxyjones

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
I would go to an Apple store and check out they're bluetooth keyboards, that would be the size of the iPad keyboard dock. Of course you could always find another bluetooth keyboard (I believe) and use that to type on the iPad but if you have issues carrying around a netbook, I can't imagine a full size keyboard would be any easier.

Just curious, are you allowed to tape record in class? My sister is dyslexic and she had special permission to use a tape recorder since she couldn't keep up with note taking.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I don't think the iPad's keyboard is going to be any larger, will it?

Do you mean the virtual keyboard or the keyboard dock? If you mean the virtual keyboard then you are right, but it seems that the keyboard dock is a full-size standard mac keyboard without the keypad.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Just curious, are you allowed to tape record in class? My sister is dyslexic and she had special permission to use a tape recorder since she couldn't keep up with note taking.

It's only long pieces of writing that I have a problem with. Small notes and diagrams are fine, it's just long pieces like essays and poem analysis.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
The Apple BT keyboard is actually a full sized keyboard. But it's somehow still 'small' feeling to my hands. I'd go to an Apple store if at all possible and try one. If you think it'd work for you over the long haul, then that plus an iPad and some kind of case/stand/dock may be just the ticket.

HOWEVER, I would wait until all the limitations of the filesystem (such as it will be), printing, saving, etc. are known before making a final purchase decision. At least that way you'll be fully informed.

The good news is that you only have a couple more days to wait until we know all this. At least until OS4 comes out :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.