Sell My Ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macwow55, Apr 17, 2010.

1. macwow55 macrumors newbie

With my educational discount upgrading from 4GB to 8GB RAM with apple will cost me: $360 (+ tax)

If i Upgrade from OWC it will cost $374

SO its the same price.

HOWEVER. If i go the OWC route I will also have the original RAM that came in my computer. Is there realistically anything I can do with this "old" ram or should I just save the hassle and get apple to do it since for me its the same price with discount? I don't know if i'll be getting apple care or not.

I always like a deal so am torn about what to do here.

Thanks.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You can normally find a buyer on eBay or in the MacRumors Marketplace forum.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Doesn't OWC do a trade in program where they give you credit back for you old RAM?

Also, unless it's the latest RAM - DDR3 1066 or higher and in 2g sticks or higher, don't expect that much from it.

4. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I think he's referring to the price when you build a mac, so yeah it should be 2G sticks.

A 4GB kit cost me like 70+ a long time ago, I think it's still around there, so you could sell it for a bit.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

However, if you ever return the machine to Apple for repair, you might find it come back with original RAM. In other words you buy 4GB from OWC (or other), sell/ trade your original 2GB ram, then later send it to apple it might come back with just 2GB of ram. Same applies to upgrading the HD.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... except the OP doesn't yet qualify to access the MacRumors Marketplace.