Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Quick question, if i sell my nano, can i sell it with my tunes in it? Is this illegal? I think it is, but i just want confirmation...

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
DarkNetworks said:
Quick question, if i sell my nano, can i sell it with my tunes in it? Is this illegal? I think it is, but i just want confirmation...

It wouldn't be illegal if you released the right to the music, but you wouldn't get a good value for it. Also, I'm not sure if it's legal to sell music bought from iTMS. There might be something about that in the agreement...

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
you would need to provide the legal copies of the cd's also.... if i'm not mistaken

yet once its plugged into another computer it'll just be reformatted for that users library..... course there are ways around that too....

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes you can, you can also do just about anything you like ...

Nobody can stop you unless we chain you to a toilet, medicate you til you drool, or toss you in an asylum.

And we are really to lazy to try that.

---

Sort of pointless, considering the music you like might not be worth much to somebody else.

Heck, the Pauly Shore Christmas Album and the Drew Carey Show Musical Compendium may even devalue the iPod. ;)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
No, unless you give all of the physical CDs to the buyer, you cannot. But then again, music trading on a network is also illegal... but who the heck is watching?

enoch

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
Technically, you do have a right of re-sale on things that you have brought. In the case of music, you should be able to have a copy for your own personal use - so, therefore, you might be able to sell your iPod if you made all the music on it OR you brought all the music from iTunes. Otherwise, you would be selling copies made from originals for personal gain. This is also known as pirating music.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Sun Baked said:
Yes you can, you can also do just about anything you like ...

Nobody can stop you unless we chain you to a toilet, medicate you til you drool, or toss you in an asylum.

And we are really to lazy to try that.

---

Sort of pointless, considering the music you like might not be worth much to somebody else.

Heck, the Pauly Shore Christmas Album and the Drew Carey Show Musical Compendium may even devalue the iPod. ;)

i'm surely not gonna devaluate the iPod :rolleyes: :D

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Actually, you can...

but in no way can you advertise as such. You cannot profit in any way, you must change the same amount for a unit fully loaded as you would for a blank or loaded with completly random data. As such you may not tell people you are laeaving anything on it as it would make the unit more profitiable and therefore illegal.

I can sell a harddrive without wiping it, but I can't sell it as "Windows XP and 30GB of music" that would be illeagal.

Good luck and don't break the law!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.