Sell new iMac and buy Mini to use as server?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Paulywauly, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

I bought a base model 21.5 inch iMac a few months back with Applecare and really liked it, but since my 64GB iPad arrived i've barely used it for anything other than server duties (eg. idevice syncing, AirVideo, PS3 streaming, remote access from work, downloading etc).
    Was thinking of selling it and maybe buying a new unibody 2.4GHz mini? I already have a fairly new screen and apple keyboard i could use, it may save on the electricity bill too.
    Anyone else think it might be worth it? Thanks :)

2. trip1ex macrumors 68000

3. Paulywauly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Well basically, as I don't use the iMac as much day in day out as I thought I would is it worth "trading down" to a lesser speced model? If I sell it could I get enough back to pay for the Mac mini? Would the lower power consumption be make a significant dent in the electric bill to justify the effort? Ideally I'd like to leave it switched on all the time, only switching on the screen when needed.

4. peakchua macrumors regular

heres my take, though its processor is extremely cool, the base imac features some serious ****.. yes you guessed it! its the nvidblow 9400mmurderer. it sucks and cant play games. the 320m has up to 3 times more increase so my take get it :)

5. Paulywauly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

The better graphics chip would be nice, but I doubt I'd ever use it for anything that the 9400m couldn't handle it really is overkill for my needs.

6. EasyJW macrumors member

That sounds the stupidest plan i have ever heard[​IMG] you'll lose like £300 by buying a mini seeing as you bought the imac for £950.... £300 is a hefty electricity bill, i would be veeeerry surprised if you would save £300 in 10years of using the mini rather then the imac... Keep the imac

7. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Well, from your serving requirements, you already have a PS3 so gaming is sorted on that and the better graphics on the iMac might not be that important (or noticeable during your usage.)

It will save on the electric bill, although not by an exponential amount.

I definitely think if you had a MacBook or MacBook Pro, I would say definitely trade for a Mac Mini, but I think keeping with the iMac and maybe selling the 2nd monitor if you really want to save some money, but 2 monitors for a desktop setup is the best.

iPhone/iPod Touch - iPad - Desktop Mac is easily one of the best setups if you're not at college.

8. Paulywauly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Awesome advice, thanks for your help :)