Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miken79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
I have a MacBook that I am currently using as a server. I decided it would be my best interest to replace it with a desktop. I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. So I am wanting to purchase a Mac Mini. However, I am not that impressed by the current specs vs the price of the Mac Mini right now. I am basically waiting for an Mini update. In October, Apple is suppose to release a redesigned and upgraded MacBook. I am afraid if I wait until after October, the new release will cause my MacBook to depreciate considerably and will definitely not sell for what I could get out of it right now. So, should I just bite the bullet, sell now and buy a obsolete Mac Mini that could be updated anytime? Selling the MacBook now and waiting for a update isn't an option either because I need to keep my server app running. Any advice, suggestions, etc would be appreciated.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I have a MacBook that I am currently using as a server. I decided it would be my best interest to replace it with a desktop. I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. So I am wanting to purchase a Mac Mini. However, I am not that impressed by the current specs vs the price of the Mac Mini right now. I am basically waiting for an Mini update. In October, Apple is suppose to release a redesigned and upgraded MacBook. I am afraid if I wait until after October, the new release will cause my MacBook to depreciate considerably and will definitely not sell for what I could get out of it right now. So, should I just bite the bullet, sell now and buy a obsolete Mac Mini that could be updated anytime? Selling the MacBook now and waiting for a update isn't an option either because I need to keep my server app running. Any advice, suggestions, etc would be appreciated.

sell on ebay in early october

miken79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
sell on ebay in early october

I agree that this is about the best option I only have. I guess I will sell in early Oct and hope that maybe a Mini Update comes out with the MacBooks. If not, than the current Mini it is.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Are you going to make money on the deal?

If not why switch? The MacBook is basically a mini with a screen and in clamshell mode it is about the same.

Of course if you pull the cover off I guess the mini is a bit more hackable.

miken79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Are you going to make money on the deal?

If not why switch? The MacBook is basically a mini with a screen and in clamshell mode it is about the same.

Of course if you pull the cover off I guess the mini is a bit more hackable.

No, I will not be making money when selling my MacBook and buying a Mini. My main reason for trading is that my MacBook is running 24/7 as a server, and is running hot a majority of the time. I am concerned this is going to shorten the life of it if I continue to run it this way. I have heard of others running the Mini as one of their small servers with great luck and I figured it be a good choice. I understand they are using basically the same internal parts, but I figured the Mac Mini had a little bit better space for air ventilation. I may be wrong though, maybe the Mini and MacBook have the same life expectancy running 24/7 at temp around 100 degrees F?

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
I say get what you can now for the Macbook while it's still the current generation and buy a used or refurbished Mac mini. Then, if the new ones come out and seem worthy to upgrade, you can sell the mini. They keep incredibly value. (Even the very first G4 Mac minis are selling for only about $150 less than purchased.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.