Sell old before buying new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eldiablojoe, May 22, 2010.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I know this is just one of many threads people are posting seeking advice about selling their phones as the new iPhone comes out. I appreciate you taking the time to read and contribute.

I have a one-year old 3GS 32GB I bought when it came out brand new here in the U.S. I love it! It is not and never has been jail-broken or unlocked. If I do a complete restore, it should be as good as factory-new, except that I've used it for a year. I have the original box and packaging.

I have a contract with AT&T. I have been a customer since 2000. My contract ends 7/18/2011, but my upgrade eligibility date is 12/19/2010.

I want the new iPhone when it comes out next month. I don't expect to get any love from AT&T regarding moving up my eligibility date since I got an iPhone with my maximum renewal eligibility on July 18, 2010.

What do you think is the best way and timing to sell my 3GS and get the new 4th Gen iPhone when it comes out next month? I'd like to get the most money I can for the 3GS, and then get the 4th Gen when it is released.

Thank you!

2. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

There's no guarantee that the new iPhone will be available contract-free right at launch. You may end up waiting a few months.

3. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

True, but assuming I'm going to be re-upping my contract if I am offered and take a discount, but I'm assuming I will just buy the new phone at full price while maintaining my existing contract. Im more interested in timing the sale and getting a good price while not going (at all or for long) without an iPhone.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

And yet you still choose to create a new thread instead of contributing to one of the existing ones. If you don't contribute to an existing discussion, why should I contribute to this one?

5. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Don't really understand what you're saying. How can you "re-up" your contract when you're not upgrade eligible until December?

I think you missed my point. You might not be able to buy the phone at full price at launch. If you sell your iPhone now, and Apple doesn't allow you to buy the new iPhone at full-price (i.e. no contract price) you'll be SOL.

6. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

@Geckotek- Because I am old and easily confused and those threads were quite muddied and difficult for me to follow, so I thought a new thread would be a clearer method in which to obtain a directly relevant response. Sorry you felt it was uncontributory.

@Beamer, I now understand your initial point, that it may only be available with contract upon launch. In which case I expect to tethered to either my existing contract for the remaining period, or be subject to a post-June 1st renewal which would be another couple years with a hefty early termination fee.

Now assuming that I will have to renew my contract and pay a non subsidized price for the new iPhone, what is the best method of selling my old one after I obtain the new one. How much more advantageous do you think it would be to sell just prior to the new launch?

Thank you for clarifying your point Beamer. I'd appreciate Geckotek's insight as well.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sell it on eBay if you must have the new one before you're upgrade eligible.

8. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Y not just keep the 3gs. Wait till next summer and get the next itteration of the iPhone. What are u really gaining from the 3gs to what's been shown for the 4g.

9. orange812 macrumors newbie

I agree. There will be a flood of iPhones (especially 3GS) into eBay right after the next gen goes on sale, which will certainly drive prices down in a heartbeat.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

If you're truly that old and easily confused, I'd sell it to a friend or acquaintance. eBay and Craigslist are riddled with people trying to rip you off.

11. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Why no body is getting the OP?!!! I think the OP is specifically asking, would they make more money if they sell their iPhone before the new iPhone launch, i.e what is the best timing to make the maximum profit with the balance of not being without an iPhone for a long time.

For the OP, I am not sure, but I would guess, you are better selling now than after the launch as many people will be selling theirs, so the price will go down and I think the longer the you wait, the less money u will make and the price very likely will decrease every week up to the launch of the new iPhone.

Any expert opinion?

(I never sold or bought a used iPhone, so my analysis is theoretical :p)

Edit: I didn't see orange answer:)