Sell old iMac 2009 or keep it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dupuytren, Mar 14, 2015.

1. dupuytren macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I have an iMac early 2009 20-inch model with 2.66GHz processor and 320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA hard drive, originally came with 4GB RAM.
    It was starting to become slow last year so I upgraded the memory to 8GB ram which helped. Once I upgraded to OS Mavericks it is now becoming slow again.

My primary computer is an MBA 13" Mid 2012 and I use my iMac maybe once a week or a fortnight (especially in the last 2 years), and only use the iMac if I have work stuff to do (need to draft a report etc). I notice that the display is markedly different and after about 30mins starting on the iMac display I do get a headache and need to rest for a bit.
    Other issues with the iMac I guess is the USB 2.0, would prefer USB 3.0 for backup reasons/cloning hard drive etc but this isn't a major issue at the moment but could be in the future. MY concern though, is that I don't want to continue using this iMac until it breaks down, and would prefer to sell it for some money while it is still working.

So my current question is:
    I'm planning to sell my MBA to buy a 13" Retina MBP that has just been released (I renew my MacBooks every 3 years anyway); I did consider the 12" Macbook but I only take my computer out of the house when I am on a long vacation (so maybe once a year).

I am very tempted to sell the iMac and buy a newer iMac - I can get a 21 inch late 2014 iMac for £700 (second hand on Amazon); but as I stated I don't use it much so not sure if the money spent to do this is justified. Should I just plunge for this, or should I maybe just get a large display monitor instead so I can use the large screen to do work stuff through the shiny new MBP?

Any advice is appreciated!!

2. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

From what you're saying I think you should go for a bigger monitor and connect the new rMBP to it. With that said try to sell the iMac but I know way to little about them to know what you can expect to get for it.

3. erickj macrumors regular

This is exactly what I did. Retired my late 2009 21" iMac and bought a rmbp 13" and then got a Thunderbolt Display to connect. Love the setup and speed. So much zippier than my old iMac and I love the larger screen.

4. dupuytren thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats great, thanks for the replies. I would get an external display then and I've just managed to put my iMac on sale online. Is Thunderbolt Display still worth a purchase these days or shall I go for something else e.g. a
    Dell U2515H? I don't really do video editing and prefer to watch movies on my TV; I just have to read/write long documents sometimes for work.

5. dupuytren thread starter macrumors newbie

my iMac is now on gumtree/craigslist
    I've now received my brand new MacBook Pro and my Dell U2515H - it's the perfect combination!!