Sell old Macs for new MB or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hockeysc23, Jan 16, 2008.

1. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I have read tons of threads and was looking for some advice as to my current computing situation.

I currently have an old G4 Powerbook laptop 400mhz, 1 gig ram, 70 gig hd and a G5 tower that is 3 yrs old not intel Dual 1.8s, 2 gigs ram, and a 80 gig hd.

I am looking into getting an Apple laptop but had some questions. Could I or should I sell the two computer above to get a MB or MBP? I don't know if it is realistic but I have seen on ebay and Mac2sell.com I could get anywhere from 750-1k for the G5 and 250-440 for the G4. Are these numbers correct?

Also is it worth waiting to see if new updates comeout for the MacBook or MBP in March? I am just worried if I wait that long I will lose more resale value.

And which new Apple would you recommend?
    I am looking for a new computer to do finances(quicken on windows), itunes, internet, word processing, calendar/organization, watch DVDs, and become my new computer.

Any thoughts/questions/or suggestions are appreciated!

2. hockeysc23 thread starter macrumors regular

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

4. elberggreno macrumors member

Thoose numbers (prices) seem correct, but to be on the safe side do count low. .

The MBP could be updated in a few days or in the summer, no one knows (except steve =) ).. The MB was recently updated so no worries there..

Based on your needs I'd say go for the macbook, it's a lovely machine and it would run circles around the current machines you have (yes, even the Powermac)..

Buy the low-end or middle macbook and stuff some 3-rd party RAM in there and you'll be set for a long time!

5. hockeysc23 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response. Any idea how much a semi-working superdrive brings down the cost of my powerbook?

It works 90% of the time but makes a heck of a loud noise if not on a surface. I figured probably 100 off price, does that sound correct?

Thanks,
    Scott