Sell Old MBP - Buy New MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dKran, Oct 16, 2008.

  1. dKran macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    #1
    So I currently own a 2.33 Ghtz MBP (2GB Ram, 256 mb ATI X1600, 120 GB HD), that I purchased in July of 2007.

    With the new revisions, it looks like the new Macbook (besides processor speed) might even be better than this one (Mine only supports 3GB of 667 DDR2 Ram, while the new MB supports 4GB of DDR3)

    I could sell my Current MBP, and get the Baseline MB, or throw in a couple hundred more and get the 2.4 Ghtz one, but I really don't know what would be the best option.

    Any help?

    Thanks guys.
     
  2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

    panzer06

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2006
    Location:
    Kilrath
    #2
    The key point is what do you do with the laptop. For most functions your laptop is fine, probably capable of a couple more years of reliable service. Mine gets most everything done just fine. I do mostly Word, Excel & Powerpoint with the occasional Parallels access to XP programs and I do a bit of iMovie and DVD ripping, some RPG and RTS Windows gaming in bootcamp.

    I am not even considering an upgrade until they offer more screen resolution options on the 15" model. Now that I have a 1920x1200 screen, I can't imagine going back to 1440x900. I also use 3 external FW800 drives. Just can't see going to a MB (except as an additional laptop) and even then only once they are available as refurbs at less than the $1299.

    I'd keep that 2.33 if it's doing all you need today.

    Cheers,
     
  3. dKran thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    #3
    It does do everything I'm doing today just fine, which is a very good point. But I'm just looking towards the future, when I do need to upgrade things, the new MB can utilize more, and faster ram, hard drive as simple to install, unlike in my current MBP, and besides the processor speed, it just seems better in every way. Plus, if it had 4GB of Ram in it, even with the integrated video card, wouldn't the integrated still be better than the X1600?
     
  4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #4
    Check this s*** out.

    The old Macbook Pro can't do anything that the New Macbook can, atleast for what you are using it for.

    In the future, when you will *need* to upgrade for whatever reason (unsupported processors, 3 gb not being enough etc etc), you'll be glad you waited and can be on the cutting edge of that particular era.
     
  5. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

    DoNoHarm

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Location:
    Maine
    #5
    Keep the MBP

    Keep it for the matte/brighter/larger screen, keyboard, firewire, DVI, and resale value.
     
  6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

    panzer06

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2006
    Location:
    Kilrath
    #6
    You answered your own question. WHEN you need to upgrade a software app or specialized hardware that only a more current system supports; that is WHEN you should upgrade. This upgrade is not compelling enough to jump right now. Besides, there will be inevitable glitches with the new chipset and by waiting (with a perfectly good MBP) you will avoid all those issues and have saved money for when you truly need to upgrade.

    Desire and rationlization are the enemies of reason. Wait. You will be happy you did.

    Cheers,
     
  7. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

    MowingDevil

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    #7
    I agree 100%. Thing is if you upgrade now by the time you NEED to upgrade there will be faster cheaper more powerful machines out & your computer will be old again. ...and the cycle continues. Get a new machine when your old one doesn't do the trick anymore. Its classic need vs want.
     

Share This Page