Sell one, or both?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Manic Nimrod, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Manic Nimrod macrumors newbie

Hey all. I'd like some advice on what to do next.

I currently own a '09 iMac(21.5") and 2011 Macbook Air(11"). I am a graphic design student so i regularly use the adobe suite.

While the iMac run's fine, I have noticed a slowdown when running a couple of the adobe products. So, I would love to update it.

However, being a student, money becomes a problem.

I was thinking of selling the iMac and purchasing the next Mac Mini or just buying a large monitor and just use the Air as my main device at home and in the classroom.

Or

I could sell both and get a high end Pro and use that.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

How much RAM does your iMac have? i bet you could get up to 6GB of RAM in it and that would go a long way in making the Adobe programs run better. I'm guessing you only have 2GB in it now, am I right?

If so, I'd recommend maxing out the RAM and see how it runs then. That would be the least expensive way to go altogether.

3. Manic Nimrod thread starter macrumors newbie

It has 4GB in, according to the box it can handle 16GB. (3.06GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor)

Would it make a large difference boosting it up to 8 or 16? :/

4. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

I agree with the comment regarding max out your ram... and if you are good with tools and patient another way to breath new life into an old iMac is to install an internal SSD, adobe will love it. I did that recently, it wasn't easy but was doable.

but I have to admit I am scratching my head on the concept of doing much of anything graphical in nature on an 11" macbook air. I love my macbook air, but it definitely gets slow when I run anything demanding on it in 3D. Adobe is not known for writing quick code.

So to go back to your original question, I would consider selling both and buying a new macbook pro.

----------

ram is really really cheap these days, and yes, adobe is a RAM hog.. .it would make a huge difference.

5. Manic Nimrod thread starter macrumors newbie

The Adobe suite runs very well on the Air, during my final first year project I had Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects running smoothy.

Looking at some setups, I am tempted to sell off the iMac and use that money to purchase a large monitor, a large external HDD and various other bits.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

If your iMac is a late 2009 model (model 10,1 manufactured between Oct 2009 and July 2010), then yes, it can handle up to 16GB of RAM.

If you're using the Adobe suite a lot, I say the more RAM the merrier. I bet that would tide you over for quite some time and not have to buy an new computer right away.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I'd also consider an SSD for your iMac, I just scored a Crucial M4 SSD 512Gb for $350 from Amazon.com that's going into my nVidia 9400m Whitebook 5,2 2.0Ghz with 4Gb RAM (replacing the 128Gb M2 SSD that it currently has in it) so that I can run win7 on the machine and not be space limited for the few work related win programs that don't play nice with OSX...

The 128Gb SSD will go into one of my desktops that's still only rocking HDD's:D

8. Anyhuman55, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Anyhuman55 macrumors newbie

I also use adobe suit and to my experienced, I never use any beside my imac which I believe a gift for me in the middle of the year 2009. For me, it performs very well, and even though it is an old one model, it is a still good computer.