Sell, or fix? Screen problems!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iLive, Dec 4, 2016.

1. iLive macrumors regular

I own a MacBook Pro 15" Retina with a screen problem - Right now, I'm not sure if I just want to sell the laptop or try and get it fixed.

So, since last year, my Macbook has had some screen issues. This is when it was at its worst. The entire screen is blacked out. However, sometimes it would return to normal and there would be no problem. Today, it's only the right part of the screen that is blacked out and the rest is fine. So yeah, it has changed back and forward, and today it is stable and doesn't change anymore.

I've been told it can be three things that's the problem.
    1. The graphic card. But, this doesn't appear to be the case because then it wouldn't change location on the screen.
    2. The screen. But again, if it was the screen that was "broken", then it wouldn't change location either.
    3. The connection between the screen and the computer. Since it has over time changed location, and it reacts to when I'm gently hitting the laptop, I'm thinking there's some sort of communication mismatch in the device.
    I have minimal idea how it occurred. One day, when I used it this is what was going on. I have an idea that the laptop has suffered some kind of fall damage I don't know of (maybe back when I was at a bar and it was in my bag, maybe I might have unnoticed it falling down or something. Just an idea, without being certain.)

What do you think based on what I'm telling you?

Here's a picture of when it was totally black. Notice, when you gently tap the laptop or move the screen up and down, the lines would fade in and out. But today, it is only 10% of the screen that is black (can't give you a picture, because it's at my parents home).

[​IMG]

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Do you have the Early 2013 model? If so, there's still a repair program for graphics issues: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

From your description, it could just as well be the LCD/LCD Cable, but it's always worth taking to a store for them to verify :)

3. iLive thread starter macrumors regular

Hey man, thanks for your answer.

Hmm, I'm going to investigate that Apple thing. :) I don't recall the model's year.

IF it's a "LCD/LCD Cable" thing, what would it cost to get it fixed?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you're unsure what model you have, it would be best to enter your serial number into here: https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en/

You can try to plug your Mac into an external monitor. If the external monitor is fine, it's more than likely going to be the internal LCD. If the external monitor doesn't work either, then it's likely going to be the graphics card.

I'm not too sure what the cost would be, though if you could try an external monitor at your earliest convenience, that should help whittle down the cause of the problem! :)

5. iLive thread starter macrumors regular

External works. I've already done that.

But replacing the entire screen is costly. :/

6. iLive thread starter macrumors regular

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

It's most likely the display cable, which I believe is soldered onto the display end in those units. A display replacement is the official fix, unless you know somebody that can replace the cable for you as a component level repair.

Also a chance that it's the connector on the logic board too, which would require logic board replacement (or, again, component level repair.)

Since you seem to be against spending any money to fix, I'd just sell it for parts.

8. jerryk macrumors 68030

You were given some tasks to do like check the serial # to get the model and year. Did you do that. Apple has had repair programs to fix displays, but they may have expired. But, we won't know until you give us the year and model.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As per the small print, the window is closing fast on the models.

You should be able be able to get the year, by looking up your serial number or calling apple.

10. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

If you hook the macbook up to an external screen you can check the model,service/warrany status and the serial number by following these steps:

1. Click on the apple logo at the top left of the screen.
    2. Select the About This Mac option.
    3. Click on the Service tab on the window that comes up.
    4. Then click on "Check my service and support coverage"
    5. A window may come up asking permission to send your serial number to Apple. Just press Allow if it appears.
    6. Safari should open on the check coverage page on Apple's website. (The serial number should already be filled in).
    7. Enter the security code and press continue.
    8. You should now be on the service and support coverage page with your laptops serial number, model and your support coverage.