Sell or fix

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mayoliz11, Feb 25, 2014.

1. mayoliz11 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a late 2008 macbook pro unibody. Here is the description.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Display Size: 15.4"
    Processor: 2.53GHz
    Color: Aluminum
    Sales #: MB471LL/A
    Machine Number: MacBookPro5,1
    Production Date: Oct 2008

The logic board went out and I have to pay $310 to fix and repair everything, flat rate. I understand it's 6 years old so I was wondering, should I keep repairing this laptop or should I sell it and purchase a new laptop? The only problems I had with It was to replace the screen because wires went out and I couldn't see the screen because It would flicker. Either than that It's a pretty good laptop. Thanks!

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

What else does it have going for it? How much RAM? How big and how old is the hard drive? Hows the battery? The question is, what is the total value of the machine? How much longer do you expect it be useful after this repair?

Repair something worth having, but you are riding the edge there.

So much technology has come through since that machine was released. The advantages of something newer are great. Now I'm no fan of what Apple has done to the laptop line. The 13" Air serves me pretty well, until I want to hook up a firewire or ethernet cable. I also have a last gen 17" for if I want to feel like I'm using a real computer.

If I had to buy a MBP now,
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0MWALL/A

3. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

If it's fast enough for what you want it for and everything else still worked fine before the board died on you then I'd say get it repaired. Maybe chuck in an ssd too while you're in there!

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The SSD idea is a good one, and as far as selling it goes, it's probably worth more to you than it is second hand...It's an older Mac, so I guess it's up to you whether you keep it or sell it for parts and buy new.

5. macs4nw, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

As much as I hate giving up on good equipment that basically serves its purpose, you are cutting it fine here with a 5½ yr old laptop. See Apple's legacy policy here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

You've replaced the screen, and now you're looking at another $300 for the logic board, without any guarantees that your HDD or anything else isn't going to fail, and some parts may become difficult to procure in another year or so.

Without knowing your financial situation, consider how much you could fetch by selling it 'as is' or for parts, than add that to the $310 for the board, that you won't be spending. If you can swing it financially, you may be better off to purchase a new one, or a fairly new refurb. You'll end up with a considerably faster machine, with better battery life, while able to run all the latest software, and all that with a brand new warranty.

It's hard to part with stuff you've bought new, knowing it has served you well, and also knowing you've pampered it like your first-born, but sometimes, unlike with your first-born, you're just better off to cut your losses. Good Luck!

6. PreacherKane macrumors 6502

I was in pretty much the same situation. Logic board gone on unibody MBP. I looked into repairing it and continue using it but decided to buy refurbished from Apple store.
    I haven't looked back, best investment I could have made. The new MBP is lighting fast and very beautiful. I will still get the old one fixed and then sell it to settle some of the cost of the new MBP but looking at it now, there's no way I could have continued using the older machine.

Just my two cents

7. jnuuers macrumors newbie

sell it out and buy a new one.
    That's so simple.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I agree with the post immediately above.

IF you have the money for a new MacBook, you'll find it a great leap forward over a MacBook that's 6 years old.

And you may still be able to pick up something for the old one.

9. jorgk macrumors member

jorgk

Selectively citing PreacherKane here. I would very much agree it's worth it the repair, disregarding if you keep or sell it, BUT it's only going to be a nice machine if you also drop in a SSD.

Hey, my GF has a late-2008 MacBook. I thought it's not worth it anymore until I put in a SSD. After that it became a very decent machine, perfectly fine to do the normal load of word processing, Email, web-surfing, Skype.
    It only falls short once you throw some calculations onto it (like pictures in SweetHome 3D). Otherwise a very responsive easy laptop.
    Though, just coming to my mind, had to exchange the battery too.

10. PreacherKane macrumors 6502

So I asked around about the logic board for my mbp and was told that they can't be found! The shop I rang claimed that they couldn't fix my mbp and that it wasn't worth anything much even if I do! I must stat that this is in London, England.
    Well obviously, that doesnt sound right. I will call around to other repair stores and see what they say but it was a bit of a kick in the teeth.
    Anybody get that response from repair stores?

11. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

May I suggest possibly finding a new or used logic board, perhaps on eBay, and replacing it yourself if you are comfortable doing so? Not everyone is comfortable both with buying a used logic board or installing it, but if you are, you may be able to save a lot on it. I've found listings for them in the US, but I don't know about in Britain. Just a thought for you to consider...

12. macs4nw, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Not sure of your location, but see my response above to the OP where I gave him the link to Apple's US legacy policy. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Some other countries, especially in the EU, may have different minimum time frames for parts availability. The OP's best bet, as others have noted as well, is independent repair shops, or eBay, Craigslist, etc.

I see you've cut your losses, and moved on to a newer, faster MBP. I was in the same situation in 2010 with a 2004 iMac, needing a logic board which Apple no longer carried, and I too bit the bullet and, in retrospect happily so, moved on to a newer, much faster, iMac.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Six years old and if it is on the original battery that is coming due if not already in need of replacement. So that is $130 there. Then if the HD goes there is another $100 give or take, and if you need more RAM, then there is another $75. Granted these are potential repairs that any time could be needed. For $310, that is already a decent bit of cash on the first payment of a new rMBP. If it was a late 2009 or 2010 model I would have totally said fix it. However, since it is six years old, I would go for a new one.

14. MacDude21, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

MacDude21 macrumors regular

Your 2008 MacBook certainly isn't worthless, especially considering it's unibody. However, I don't know if it's worth repairing. You could always buy a new one and sell that laptop as a nonfunctioning laptop for parts. You could even sell them all individually and possibly make even more money, as people might not need every part in your laptop.
    If you don't have enough money to buy a new laptop, you could look into a referb, a used(However, make sure it's not over 2 years old!) or you could make a Hackintosh for cheaper.

Oh, and you didn't give us much specs. Is the processor dual or quad core, what kind of processor is it, how much RAM do you have and what graphics card(integrated or dedicated) is in it, as well as the condition it is in.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It certainly isn't worthless, but it is on the edge of value essentially. Most 2008 MBPs I see are on their last legs. I am talking batteries at below 50% capacity, 2GB of RAM, HD full, dings and scratches everywhere, worn keyboards, etc. If the OP kept it in great shape then maybe it is worth it.

Also, the OP needs to consider what they do with their Mac. If they do just simple web browsing and word processing, the MacBook is great for it. However, if they do any video or photo etc. even with iLife, they will see gains with a new one.

16. MacDude21 macrumors regular

Hah, I have it even worse right now. I'm on a 2006 MacBook
    Although, I am building a Hackintosh. I still need the case.

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The white MacBooks (pre-unibody) always look terrible now a days :confused: . Even my one year old unibody MBP is starting to show pitting along the edge :( .

18. MacDude21 macrumors regular

Tell me about it. There are countless cracks everywhere and 3 keys on the built-in keyboard are missing.

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sadly the white ones were prone to it. Essentially any material you get is going to have issues. With regular plastic it cracks and wears out (think palm rests after a year or two), and with aluminum it pits out depending on the person. However, no matter who I am referencing with the pitting, we all would agree aluminum dents very easily.

20. MacDude21 macrumors regular

I would take an aluminum computer over this in a heartbeat.

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The plastic would crack, aluminum would dent. Either way they both are insanely prone to scratches but aluminum stands up better in terms of regular wear and tear.

22. koban4max macrumors 68000

I would seriously think about getting a new model...wait for 2014...broadwell..
    You would want updated processors and built in stuff like thunderbolt...

23. syuus001 macrumors newbie