Sell or keep iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by infinitydouwe, May 24, 2010.

1. infinitydouwe macrumors newbie

Im just wondering what you would do and why.

I currently have a 24" 2.66 4gb iMac(2009) but i'm going to need a laptop for college and I will be traveling alot upcomming year.

So I have three options in mind.
    1. Get the basic 13" MBP and just keep my iMac.
    2. Get the basic 15" MBP and an extra monitor but sell my iMac.
    3. Get the 15" i7 MBP but sell my imac.

What would you do and why. Is the i7 really worth it to give up the big screens?

Currently using my imac mainly for webdesign, coding and some occasional gaming.

Thanks

2. ColeUK macrumors member

What will you be using the MBP for when you are on the road and how often?

I am also in the same position as you. Originally I was going to buy the MBP 15" i7 and get an external monitor and sell my iMac, but now I am also considering buying the 15" i5 or i7 and keeping the iMac. Why? Because the iMac takes up no more space then a external monitor would and for the money I fail to gain/offset by keeping iMac I get a 1TB HD for backup etc.. and a fully functional home computer, as opposed to just having a screen with keyboard and mouse. But still I am still undecided and am going to look into how easily I can sync files as I don't wanna be wasting time doing it manually too often!

Is very frustrating coming to a decision!

On another note, I do some design work on the iMac and intend to be doing a lot more, this is another reason why I am buying a laptop, as I travel a lot with my other job. The sales consultant in the Apple Store was confident that the i5 would still be adequate.