iPhone 7(+) Sell or keep iPhone 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gsusser, Sep 29, 2018.

1. gsusser macrumors 6502

First, I know this is a dumb question and is all a matter of personal preferences. However, I'm on the ropes. Perhaps I'm not thinking of something.

I upgraded to an XS and planned to sell my iPhone 7. However, I'm not happy with the going price. I paid $849 for my configuration plus $50 for an Apple case. The selling price for my configuration on eBay averages around $375. Subtract all the eBay and Paypal fees and the net would be well under $350. I believe Swappa averages an even lower price.

I want $400 net. I like the phone and am thinking of keeping it if I can't get that price. However, I don't really need it for anything. I have an iPhone 5s for backup which I rarely use as it is. I'm also not desperate for money.

Any thoughts other then that I'm being greedy? -)

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sounds like you are advertising here.

You can only sell what the market will pay, unhappy or not.

3. gsusser thread starter macrumors 6502

Not advertising here.
    One thought was to donate it since like I said, I'm not desperate for money.

4. predation macrumors 65816

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sell it and you get 3xx dollars. Keep it and you get 0.

The last time I checked 300 is larger then 0. If you decide to keep it, the what will you do with it? Will it just sit there unused?

If you donate the phone, you can write off the donation, provided you itemize, but even then, it will only have a small impact on your taxes.

If you don't need the phone, then sell it. The market is what it is, and you can either accept the fact that these phones are not holding the value you think they should or not accept it and hold on the phone just out of spite.