Sell or Keep old iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SteelBlueTJ, Nov 15, 2014.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I just got my new iPhone 6 the other day to replace my iPhone 5. I didn't trade it in because I'm not sure on what to do with it. I kind of want to sell it to help offset the cost of the 6, but a part of me also wants to keep it as a back up just incase something ever would happen to my new iPhone. What do most of you guys do?

Also if I do decide to sell to a stranger, is there anything else I need to do besides reset the phone under settings>Reset>Erase all content and settings? Thanks

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Sell it. How often do you ever really need a "backup" phone? Then on the extreme rare case that you do, a $20 flip phone makes more sense than an iPhone that's worth a few hundred dollars.

3. EDiTOR9 macrumors regular

I've decided to keep mine and use it as a car mounted camera for when I'm driving as well as an iPod and also with sms relay, I can text with it when my phone is not around.

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

keep it.

Its not like 3-5 years ago when they sold easily for a premium.

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

if you can find use for it, keep it. otherwise dump it now. $200 is better than nothing, especially if it's collecting dust on a shelf.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I would keep it. It could be worth a $1,000,000.00 one day. :p

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm handing down my devices now but eventually they're coming back to me and I'm keeping them. I even want to buy a fresh iPhone 5 in slate when the price goes down a bit as I think that was the best designed iPhone to date.

8. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I made the mistake of selling my 5 this year and I wish I did not do that. If my 6 is not acting weird etc. by the next time I upgrade, I'll definitely hang onto it.

9. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

I wish I'd kept my 4S just for the sake of starting a collection. Strange and impractical, but that's collections for you.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I just sell mine. Every year. If something happens to my phone I will just replace it. I can get cash now for my old device or get much less cash later because I kept it on a "maybe". If I were terribly worried about something happening to my phone, I would just sell my old phone and use that money either for Apple care or some other form of insurance.

11. tgarrett.walsh macrumors newbie

I got a 6+ 128gb and decided to keep my 64gb 4s. I have a few 32pin devices for music making, and I figured I wouldn't be able to find an IPod touch for how much I'd get for it.

12. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I'm in the exact same boat. Have my 16gb iPhone 5 and recently purchased an unlocked iPhone 6 64gb from Apple. I know I could sell it but something is holding me back. A friend of mine expressed interest in giving it to his wife so it may go that route. Can't say I'll need it as a backup as I purchased Applecare Plus and can get another phone if it has something wrong with it or if its accidental damage I could shell out the small replacement fee. I say if you need the money then sell it.

13. SteelBlueTJ thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I think I'm going to sell it. I really don't need it just sitting around collecting dust when I could use the cash to offset the cost of the new phone. Quick question, Do I need to remove the SIM card if it's a Verizon iPhone? I got a new SIM card with my new iPhone 6, but the old one is still in my old iPhone 5. It's been reset and erased, but the SIM is still inside. Will Verizon provide the buyer with a new SIM card if I take it out?

14. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I kept mine...I really don't want to get another Apple TV (at least until Apple refreshes them) for the bedroom, so I'm using mine with a HDMI adapter I already had. Sure, it doesn't have AirPlay, but for the few things I watch that aren't on the U-verse box, it's handy (and doesn't tie up my actual phone). Plus, it also can serve as an AirPlay source on a few services.

Additionally, I have the U-verse remote app, the Apple Remote app, and the Wink app so it is just a good all-around "utility" device that could be called back into phone duty if something were to happen to my 6 or a family member's 5S.

----------

Yes - that SIM in your 5 is dead and will only give the next buyer access to your phone number. Remove it, as any new carrier will issue a new one.

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I just keep my old iPhone as a de-facto "iPod Touch" to be used on long flights or overseas trips where I would not want to run down my active phone's battery. Otherwise, it sits in my car as a media console + GPS device.

16. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

unless you plan on collecting them, NO, don't keep it. just sell it to offset the price like you said. alot of people buy and sell their iphones to do just that and it works every time.

im actually regretting selling my iphone 5 because i could've handed it to my mom right now. but back then i didn't need it so i flipped it since i was already on the 5s and ordering the plus.