Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p1ally

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have a 38mm blue and 38 green that my mom and I will be replacing with 42s. Does it make more sense to return it or should we even bother selling them to someone that's waiting for one? Not looking to make a profit, just want to get my money back and possibly help someone else out in the process. Wwyd?

Tawmawse

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
I have a 38mm blue and 38 green that my mom and I will be replacing with 42s. Does it make more sense to return it or should we even bother selling them to someone that's waiting for one? Not looking to make a profit, just want to get my money back and possibly help someone else out in the process. Wwyd?

Create a quick Craigslist post. If it doesn't sell within a day or two, return. I just did this today when I realized I wanted a SS watch instead of a sport, and in the process turned a profit, which I won't complain about ;)

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Give it to apple, they are not going to keep that watch, plus its much safer.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
I hate scalpers but at this point, it's used so won't be sold by apple to someone else as new, and won't immediately help out someone who is waiting since it will be refurbished stock. But, and it's entirely up to you, why rip someone else off? Just charge them what you paid for it. You've then lost nothing.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Since it's opened...

Better sell to people who really want it than returning to Apple to be piled up in the Apple Watch graveyard before it gets refurbished..

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Just sold mine on Gumtree (had ten offers in the first hour) for £450/$685 and someone got the watch straight away, rather than having to wait for Apple to "recycle" it

They were delighted and I made £110 profit - it's a win win situation.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
When I sell my old iPhones I always use Craigslist and just specify that they must be local to me and I do cash only. Then meet them somewhere safe. My last three were sold right in front of Safeway. The last one was so excited to get my iPhone 5 they practically threw the money at me and were ready to just take the box. I insisted on taking it out and showing them how good a shape it was in and showed that it turned ON.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Upto you. Returning is risk free and simple, if you sell it, you run the risks with finding a dodgey buyer etc. if your are selling it for the same amount, return it to apple.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
sell it

sell it on ebay or craigs, you'll get about 450-550$ depending on where and type

NeshyD

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA

If you're seriously considering selling: I'm very serious and interested in buying the 38mm blue watch!

SixtyK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Nebraska
When I sell my old iPhones I always use Craigslist and just specify that they must be local to me and I do cash only. Then meet them somewhere safe. My last three were sold right in front of Safeway. The last one was so excited to get my iPhone 5 they practically threw the money at me and were ready to just take the box. I insisted on taking it out and showing them how good a shape it was in and showed that it turned ON.

Exactly. Stick to local. Meet at a busy, visible public place and don't go alone.

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
I agree with selling it. Post the CL ad and see what you get for it. Meet in a public place with security cameras, and do the deed.

If you are not up for that, just return it to an Apple Store.

I was actually contacted last week by someone asking if my work was a "Craigslist Safe Zone?" I have never heard that before. She said police stations were announced as Safe Zones by I have no clue. You can go that route too.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yeah

yeah, don't take a travelers check, since a bank won't cash it anyway..

take a cashiers check from a local bank only, or cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.