Sell or store?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AdvocateUK, Jan 20, 2010.

1. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

Hi all,

I'm the continuing proud owner of a 2007 Mac Pro which (bar the gfx card when using Aperture) meets, nay exceeds, all of my current computing needs.

However, later this year I'm planning on going to work aboard cruise ships for a year or two (possibly more).

Now obviously there's no way I can be without a Mac whilst away so I'm planning on buying a Macbook Pro (and possibly the new tablet) to fulfill my needs whilst onboard.

The question bugging me at the minute though is what to do with my current Mac Pro. My fiance is moving back in with her folks and in all honesty wouldn't use the Mac Pro, and would instead prefer a Macbook Pro (so that's TWO laptops AND a tablet that we'll be buying this year!). My plan has always been to keep the Mac Pro for at least another two years before replacing it so my initial instinct is to sell it before going away, as well as the 23inch and 30inch ACD's.

But I'm not entirely sure.

Should I put it into storage or give it to a relative to look after while I'm gone, or should I just sell it all up, back up my (4 TB!) of data onto external drives and buy a new one when I'm back. Once I can afford it.

What would my MP and displays be worth nowadays (in GBP)?

MP quad 2.66 with ATi X1900XT
    9GB RAM
    1TB Boot drive
    30inch ACD
    23inch ACD

Your thoughts?

Regards

Alistair

2. dazey macrumors 6502

I can comment on the price of the mac pro. I am looking at the 2008s now and they are going for around £1500. I think you are looking at around £1k for yours. The lack of 64bit EFI will put a lot off yours. Sell the screens separately, bundling them won't result in more cash.
    I have no idea what you paid for the 24" but it won't be worth much now. the 30" should still have some value.

3. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Sell it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy your laptops and tablet. Enjoy them. Save for whats available when you get done.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Best thing to do IMO as well.

5. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

First, working on a cruise ship sounds fun. It seems like tough work but very enjoyable. Second. I would definatley sell everything and buy the laptops and a tablet.

6. AdvocateUK thread starter macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

Well it looks like the consensus of opinion is to sell the MP. Which is what I was leaning towards myself anyway, I guess I just needed to hear it from other Mac users more knowledgeable than myself.

It'll be hard parting with her though :s

7. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

You'll be making good money on that cruise ship.

If you sell you MacPro and get a MacBook Pro, you will be easily able to afford a new MacPro when you come back.