sell powerbook for macbook pro

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tim2006, May 17, 2006.

  1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

    Jan 18, 2006
    should i trade in 1.67 newest 15 powerbook for the middle (white) mac book pro. i see that the value on pb is dropping and if i am going to move now is the time. the pd is my primary machine. iam concerned that the 13.3 is to small. any thoughts? I am not a power user but like a good machine.
  2. khisayruou macrumors 6502a


    Aug 21, 2004
    You mean middle macbook, not pro...right?

    If your unloading the PB just cause of it's dropping value, then I would say no. Now, if you need features that the PB does not possess, then by all means go for it. I am a 15" PB user and I don't see myself downgrading in screen real estate unless of course I need a tad more portability.

    The PB is still a good machine, but if your truly afraid that it won't provide you the computer experience you need for the next 2-5 years, then sell it.
  3. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

    Feb 24, 2005
    Unless you have the absolute last PBG4, you really wouldn't be losing any screen real estate. Not much anyway, 1280x854 vs 1280x800.
  4. _Matt macrumors 6502

    Aug 24, 2005
    I'm in the same position as you. After drooling over the new MacBooks, I realized it wouldn't make sense for me to sell my PowerBook right now. Instead, I plan to max out the ram and keep it going until I'm ready for college in two years. So, in my opinion, the MacBooks, although beautiful, don't beat out your PowerBook. Plus, our PowerBook builds are far more reliable (knock on wood) than the first revision MacBooks. So wait it out and see what the future holds.

    P.S. - I know how difficult it can be to see the value of your laptop drastically decrease overnight, but it is better that you use it until it is utterly unusable than to take the risk of purchasing a first revision machine. My rule: fourth revision or bust! :)
  5. spencecb macrumors 6502a


    Nov 20, 2003
    I agree with the above posts and would keep the PowerBook. This happens every time Apple releases some new hardware...people drool and start sounding the "I have to sell my machine!!" alarm. I did the same exact thing on Tuesday, and I just bought my MacBook Pro about a month and a half ago.

    The PowerBook is still a great computer. You're just getting itchy to get your hands on a new Intel-based Mac. Just wait it out, and get a new computer when you actually need one.
  6. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Ohh, the Intel envy. I cry myself to sleep every night because my Mac only has a G4 inside. I cry like a little girl.

    I don't think so. I have 2 gigs of RAM in my 15" PB 1.67. And all my apps are more native than Tarzan. If you're looking for emulation and crappy performance, you won't find it here. It runs like Flojo on Barry Bonds "vitamins".

    So stick with me, we'll "tough it out" for a while with these "slow" machines, and in eighteen months, we'll both buy an even better 'Book that will make the current crop look like a beat up Nintendo. Deal?
  7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    I agree that you should hang onto your powerbook. First, there are true blue powerpc fans out there that would pay premium for your powerbook, but aside from that, you've still got an amazing machine. It's not like you have something that is 4" thick and now the newer ones are 1"'s not like that at all. I thought about selling and upgrading, but then I decided not to. I will buy a rev b powermac intel when they're out.
  8. brikeh macrumors 6502a


    Jan 24, 2006
    Pheew, I really like the sound of that!

Share This Page