Sell refurb 2015 15" MBPr and upgrade to 2017 model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by psynnott, Jun 16, 2017.

  1. psynnott macrumors 6502

    psynnott

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2012
    #1
    I have been offered and accepted an Apple refurb 2015 MBPr 15" 2.8ghz/16gb ram/512gb ssd/AMD Radeon R9 M370X in exchange for a previous model I purchased.

    This is an upgrade on the spec I had previously and I am obviously very happy with the spec.

    The question is, do I take the opportunity to upgrade to a 2017 15" MBP/2.9ghz/16gb ram/512gb ssd/Radeon 560 ?

    I'm not even sure what the 2015 would sell for, in order for me to work out how much I would have to add to it.

    As for the 2017, lack of ports doesn't bother me. I have concerns about the large trackpad and possible issues with palm rejection.

    I have been thinking about this for nearly a week now and I honestly can't decide what to do.

    Edited to add, UK based - so the 2017 model will be £2700 or there abouts.

    Thanks
     
  2. wiffle macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2017
    #2
    I find myself to be a fan of the updated trackpad, and I have very little if any issues with palm rejection. Going to an Apple Store and testing out either of the 2017 options to see if your concerns can be addressed are your best options!

    Personally, I would work out the logistics: see what your MBP can sell for (I sold a similar unit for $2200 CAD on CL), how much your preferred configuration would cost etc etc.

    Best of luck.
     
  3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

    keysofanxiety

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    #3
    Personally I'd get the 2017. Better battery life, thinner, lighter, better screen, better speakers, better CPU, bigger trackpad, faster RAM, faster Flash, better graphics...
     
  4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

    ZapNZs

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2017
    #4
    I think the answer depends on your workflow and how much money you are willing to lose for how significant/insignificant a gain.

    Is your work highly GPU-dependent?
    Do you see a need to drive two 5k displays in the future?
    Is an external GPU something you see yourself purchasing?
    Do you perform work that would benefit in going from an insanely fast SSD to a stupidly fast SSD?
    If the real-world performance differences are minimal for your work flow, is the upgrade still financially justifiable to you?
     

Share This Page